Drake Relays 2016

Charles Wingert, Writer

Every spring Drake University holds an international track meet with competitors from all over the world coming to Des Moines to run on Drake’s famous blue track. Big names in the world of elite running have come for either events put on by Drake (The Grand Blue Mile) or for the actual track events, people such as Leo Manzano, a silver medalist at the 2012 Olympics, and relatively new upcomer Matt Centrowitz who is also an olympian.

The Dowling Track program under the careful guidance of Timothy Ives and head coach Ryan Van Veen has had success in recent years. The distance program has had outstanding individual performances from the likes of Cole Decker, Jason Thomas, Spencer Clark, and Ryan Schweizer.

Schweizer had a fantastic performance last year winning four events and earning the Dowling track team numerous team of points. A team receives points for every top 10 finish, and these points determine the team that wins the meet.

“Drake was really exciting last year. It really pushed me to the spot I wanted to be in. I ran some great times and felt confident while running,” Schweitzer said. “It set me up very well for state.”

Last year many other athletes from Dowling competed at the games in various events. Skyler Riesberg, Matt Frazier, Danny Denkinger, and Joe Gorsche ran in the 4×800 race.

The remaining teammates’ goal for this year is to finish well, and have a personal record for the season. Matt Frazier and Skyler Riesberg said “This year should be a lot of fun, we are looking forward to the challenge of the competitive competition. Hopefully we can do well.“

This year Schweizer might be joining them  in the hopes of winning more team points. The entire Dowling track team is hoping to finish in the top 3 teams or win the meet, but all the athletes will need to be on their best game.

Come support the Maroons at the Drake Relays on April 27. 

Drake Relays 2016