Things to do in Des Moines; Winter Edition

Processed with VSCOcam with m5 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with m5 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with m5 preset

Ashley Coppola, Staff

During the winter season in Des Moines, Iowa the main question asked is, “What should we do today?” and the common reply is, “I don’t know, there’s nothing to do…it’s winter and we live in Iowa”.  Well, I’m here to tell you that there is something to do in Des Moines during the winter.  Here is a list of ten different and fun activities to do in the Des Moines area this winter season.  

Displaying IMG_1380.jpg

1. Brenton Skating Plaza- Nothing screams winter more than ice skating.  The Brenton Skating Plaza is located on the same street as The Botanical Garden and was recommended to me by Dowling Catholic senior,  Teryn Falk.  Teryn also had the idea of finding a pond nearby and playing ice hockey, but make sure the ice is safe to go on!  The Brenton Skating Plaza is lit up at night with christmas lights, they play music while you skate, and have food and hot chocolate available for purchase.  
  2. Science Center of Iowa-  The Science Center of Iowa is located on 401 W Martin Luther King Jr Pkwy in downtown Des Moines.  It includes hands-on exhibits, education/learning programs, the IMAX theater, classes and workshops, special events, and more.  “I went to the Science Center this weekend and it was actually so much fun.  I haven’t been since I was little and thought it was going to be dumb, but there’s actually  a lot to do and it really can be for all ages.” said Dowling Catholic senior, Abby Ricke.  
  3. Glazed Expressions-  Dowling Catholic senior, Lauren Hartlieb, brought up the idea of doing arts and crafts on a boring winter day.  If you are like me though, and don’t have paints and crafts lying around your house, Glazed Expressions could be an alternative.  It is located in the Swanson Depot in Clive.  At Glazed Expressions you can partake in pottery painting, glass fusing, candle making, paint & sip canvas painting, and wood decor.  
  4. Sleepy Hollow-  When there’s no snow on the ground, like this winter, Sleepy Hollow is the place to go.  On their huge slopes Sleepy Hollow makes their own snow for skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, and zibob sledding.  It is located on Dean Avenue, Des Moines (East side).  
  5. Spa Day-  Take some time to pamper yourself this winter season and have a spa day!  Get a massage or facial and get a mani/pedi.  Some places for massages and facials are Massage Envy, Massage Heights, and East Village Spa.  A great nail place to go to that’s close to Dowling is 4 Season Nail and Spa.  This is located right by Grounds for Celebration on University.  
  6. Hot chocolate dates-  Speaking of Grounds for Celebration,  hot chocolate iDisplaying IMG_1381.jpgn the winter is always a good idea.  Grab a friend and go to some fun retro coffee shops around Des Moines.  Some ideas are Smokey Row Coffee Co, Twisted Bean Coffee Company, Mars Cafe, Ritual Cafe, Java Joes CoffeeHouse, and there’s many more in the Des Moines area.  
  7. Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden-  The Botanical Garden showcases beautiful plants indoors and outdoors, so it’s open during the winter.  They also have art shows and educational programs.  It’s near downtown on Robert D. Ray Drive.  
  8. Des Moines Art Center-  The Des Moines Art Center is on Grand Avenue in Des Moines.  Dowling Catholic senior, Jake Hummel, told me about this one.  It is full of beautiful, unique art.  If you’re an art expert, or not, you will love the Art Center.  
  9. State Historical Museum of Iowa-  The historical building is a unique building with three floors full of Iowa’s history and accomplishments.  They have featured exhibits going on from time to time.  Right now they are featuring Hollywood in the Heartland, which is a blockbuster exhibit.  
  10. Flix Brewhouse-  Flix Brewhouse makes movies even more fun.  It is located in Merle Hay Mall in Des Moines.  At this deluxe movie theater, you can dine while you watch a movie.  They have a full menu with various food and drink options.  The chairs are heavenly.  The chairs are leather with comfy cushions that recline.  You have plenty of footroom and a table right in front of you for your meal. I highly recommend going to see a movie at Flix Brewhouse this winter.    

Well there you have it, ten things to do in Des Moines this winter season.  So next time you and your friends are sitting at home bored out of your mind, try out some of these ideas!  Some money might be needed to partake in some of these events, so try getting a job this winter season too.  Don’t let the cold keep you cooped up indoors this winter.