Gone Clubbing

Clubs Offered At Dowling

Gone+Clubbing

Eric Spenceri, Staff

When going to any school, students need something to occupy their time outside of the school day. For some, they play in sports, while others participate in Speech and Debate. But one of the more popular options is joining one of the many clubs offered. There is a wide variety of clubs at Dowling. Some of them are religious service clubs such as Service of Solidarity, whereas others are purely for entertainment, such as Video Game club and Righteous Film Interpretation.

“Anybody, Freshman through Seniors are allowed to participate in SOS club.” Says Mrs. Sullivan. “And twice a month the club goes to Trinity United Methodist church. Upstairs the church runs an E.L.L (English Language Learner). The parents are upstairs taking these classes to learn English to get a better life for their kids. So then, downstairs in the basement of the church is where we have S.O.S and all we do is entertain the children.”

Even though the club’s purpose is to entertain children, there are still many life lessons that the students can take away from it. The co moderator of the club, Ms. Breck says that “Even though we’re different on the outside, we’re all the same on the inside and that a lot of the kids that they play with or work with are good little kids, just from a different part of town. It doesn’t matter if you’re young, old, black, or white, because everyone is the same” Clubs such as these are meant to enlighten the students and give them a better understanding of how we as Catholics influence the world around us.

While some clubs are made to give insight to the students about the world around them, most are student made clubs created for the sole purpose of after school socializing and fun. Some examples of these are Video Game Club and Righteous Film Interpretation.

“We play video games in a friendly, competitive environment” Mr. Schneider (the moderator of the club) states. “I think the students enjoy the club because they get to come and compete with each other in a sort of carefree atmosphere. There are no strings attached to the club; if you don’t show up for two months, it’s not like you can’t come.” In fact, many of the entertainment-based clubs follow this principle of just arriving at any given meeting without being at any of the former. It’s all really about what works for the students.

Another club like this is Movie Club or as it’s more commonly known “Righteous Film Interpretation”. In the club, the students “Vote on a movie, and they usually have a genre picked out… and they make a list of options and then they vote on it.” says Mrs. Triplett, the club’s moderator. The club focuses not on education of movies and how they impact our culture today, but rather as a way for students to socialize and bond over a common pastime.

In the end, what all these clubs are about is bonding with others, and expanding one’s social circle to various other people they wouldn’t have otherwise met. The clubs at Dowling Catholic are meant to entertain, enlighten, and broaden the horizons of the students who are a part of them.