Dowling’s Drake Relays 2018

Kirby Power

The Drake Relays are known as “America’s Athletic Classic.” The Relays are a world famous event that includes athletes from ages ten in the fifth grade in a shuttle relay to mid-eighties in the race walk.

This year Dowling Catholic not only had many athletes, but also many alumni athletes run at the Relays. On Thursday night, DCHS 2014 alum, Karissa Schweizer won the 5,000 meter race. Schweizer, who is currently a senior at the University of Missouri is a five time NCAA national champion and is expectant to win the 5k at Nationals in Eugene, Oregon again this year. Her fifteen minute twenty-two second finish at Drake moved her to fourth in the world for a 5k time. The fans at Drake went wild for their hometown hero.

Also on Thursday, Dowling’s own Matthew Carmody (12), Cole Schroeder (11), and Sam Hall (10) ran the 3200. Carmody finished third in the race, Schroeder finished twelfth, and Hall finished nineteenth. The race was exciting and all were happy and excited to be able to run on the Blue Oval.

“There’s just a great atmosphere when you’re running in the arena. It makes me feel pumped up when I run!” Carmody said. He also finished fourteenth in the 1600 meter race.

Both girls and guys teams were successful throughout the rest of the weekend as well. Both 4x200s had top five finishes. For the girls, Margaret Tobias, a freshman in her breakout season ran well. Tobias also ran the Sprint Medley and the 4×400.

“The most exciting part was running on the blue oval for the first time,” Tobias stated, enthusiastically.

The 4×400 girls relay finished fourth overall. The relay consisted of Margaret Tobias (9), Kate Timboe (11), Anna Guidici (12), and Kelsey Schweizer (11). The 4×800, consisting of four juniors, Janey Meilander, Kate Timboe, Sydnee Miller, and Kelsey Schweizer finished fourth with a time of nine minutes and thirty seconds. The boys 4×8, Collin Cook (11), Will Ode, (10), Thomas Bussey (12), and Kevin Conner (11) had a great eight minute and six second finish in tenth place.

Most impressively, the girls shuttle hurdle relay, Mira Baccile (10), Christina Odir (12), Olivia Gehrke (10), and Juru Okwaramoi (11) finished first with a time of one minute and three seconds. The girls have been working hard this season and for many months through the off season as well. “Winning was probably the coolest thing that has ever happened to me because we knew we had a solid chance going into finals but having to wait the extra 10 minutes to find out we won made it so much better,” Okwaramoi said, excitedly. “I don’t even remember getting excited. I remember being satisfied one moment and then going absolutely nuts the next.” Okwaramoi said.

For field events, Zach Stacy (12) finished fourth place in the shot put. He was first for class 4A and should finish well at state track.

The Relays were a success for Dowling Catholic. All students are excited to see the rest of the season’s results! Go Maroons!

The girls shuttle hurdle team with their coaches on their victory lap around the blue oval.

Photos: T. Donahue and K. Parriott

Dowling’s Drake Relays 2018