John Culver; an Inside Look to a State Champ

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lindsey Grask, Writer

John Culver won the state record in the 200 medley relay. Culver earned this title at the Iowa High School Boys State Swim Championships in February of 2019.

Culver has been swimming competitively for the majority of his life. Swimming has taught him many life lessons.

“I’ve learned the power of hardwork and dedication,” Culver said.

Culver and his relay team including Gage Agnew, Jerry Xu, and Nick Chase set the state record for the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:32.67.

“I’m super excited to be a state record holder and it’s even better that I get the share the record with my closest friends,” Culver said.

Not only did Culver set a state record he also placed well in his other events including the 100 back and 200 IM.

“I’m happy with how I swam, I cut time off my 100 back and finished third and my team mate finished first,” Culver said.

Culver is hopeful for his final season at Dowling Catholic. He has some personal goals he would like to accomplish during his senior year.

“My goals for senior year are to improve my placements at state individually,” Culver said.

Culver is planning on continuing to swim competitively after high school.

“I’m open to going anywhere in the country. I hope my future has swimming in it!” Culver said.