New on Netflix: The Assassination of Gianni Versace

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace

Lucy Kramer

The new season of “American Crime Story” has been placed on Netflix and has been a topic of conversation among many. “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” is a true crime story of the murder of one of the most famous fashion designers of our generation, Gianni Versace.

Gianni Versace was a pioneer in fashion and built an empire on his name with his sister, Donatella. Their last name became a staple of fashion and the company has a current net worth of about $1.7 billion. Gianni was infamously murdered on the front steps of his Miami home. The show revolves around this crime with the episodes starting and coming to a close around the murder.

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace” mostly revolves around the serial killer Andrew Cunanan. It tells his story while being careful to make sure that the audience knows how bad of a person he truly was. Cunanan was not displayed as someone to empathize with but instead as a pathological liar that couldn’t handle rejection. Nothing about him was good, as depicted in the show.

Based on a true story, Cunanan went on a murder spree that began on April 27th, 1997 with the murder of Jeffrey Trial to July 23, 1997, when he was found after he committed suicide in the middle of a standoff with the police in a houseboat which did not belong to him.

The show addresses topics like homosexuality in the 90s and the strides made towards acceptance and also the prejudice against gay people during the time. It represents prominent members of the gay community, like Versace, and shows how even people like Versace still were treated unfairly.

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace” was a well-told story of the true crime phenomenon that changed the fashion industry forever. The acting, writing, costume design, and story presentation was fantastic and deserving of every award that it has received. Winning 23 awards in total, “The Assassination of Gianni Versace” is one of the greatest shows of the year.