Girls shuttle hurdle relay team has high expectations for the 2019 season

The Dowling track team is kicking off their season with lots of talent and expectations. Athletes have been training all winter in hopes of bringing home some hardware this spring.

The girls shuttle hurdle relay team has high expectations this season at state and the Drake Relays after their previous showing. Last year, Dowling won the state championship in that event and are ready to do it again. This years team includes seniors Juru Okwaramoi and Roslyn Heuckendorf and juniors Mallory Wilson and Mira Baccile.

The four share a deep passion for the sport. Track season is an amazing opportunity for them to push each other to be the best runner possible.

“I’m excited to see how far our team goes. We have worked really hard in the off season and I am excited to see how our times will decrease.” Wilson said, “We all push each other during practice and during a race.”

Track brings teammates together as well. All four agreed their teammates make track even more special for them.

“I’m definitely looking forward to winning the 4×2 at state and being with my teammates everyday,” Heuckendorf said.

For runners, the main goal in a season is to decrease their race times as much as possible. The team plans to achieve this through hard work and dedication.

“I love that track is purely based on times and how good it feels when the hard work pays off,” Baccile said.

The team recently competed at Wartburg College and started the season off excellently with a victory. They hope to find more success this spring and show the results of their hard work.

Okwaramoi said,”We’ve been working super hard, even since the off season. And I just want to be able to display that with my team and be proud of it.”