Mask Up, Buttercup!

A look into the masks our students are choosing to wear.

Stella Logsdon, Staff Writer

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know masks are probably the only consistent aspect of the year 2020. Even when it feels like nothing is forever, masks are there, tried and true. They are everywhere, saving lives and making us look that much more put together. 

Here at Dowling, masks are not only required, but are proving themselves to be a great method of self expression while also protecting yourself and others. Let’s take a look at the variety of masks the Dowling community have been wearing so far this school year.

Mary Sweetman (12) poses while wearing her mask.

“I love my mask! It has little cinched things so that it stays on my ears, and it’s very nice to breathe through,” Mary Sweetman (12) said. 

If you’re interested in matching her, more masks like Sweetman’s can be found in Old Navy stores.

Looking for a patterned option? Cael Stark (12) talked to the Post about the look he’s been recently sporting for school.

“I’m wearing a pink and blue flower mask, and I think it’s pretty dope,” Stark said.

Cael Stark (12) sporting his mask at school.

Stark added that the mask was borrowed from his sister, so shout-out to her, because that mask was pretty fly.

Maybe you’re interested in spreading a message, and truly letting the mask speak for itself. The Post talked to Will Bussey (11) about his mask and why he enjoys wearing it so much.

“I like my mask because it’s comfortable and sends a good message to people,” Bussey said.

Will Bussey (11) spreading a positive message with his mask.

Not only does the mask in question send a positive message, but Bussey is also supporting his family.

“I got my mask from my dad, who is a Family Physician in Grimes,” Bussey said. 

Still not convinced? Maybe you’re planning to opt out for something more simple? You’re in luck! At orientation for the 2020-2021 school year, students received a uniform-type mask from Dowling.

Annie Thomas (12) talked to the Post about why this is her favorite mask option. 

Annie Thomas (12) showing off her DCHS mask.

“I like it because it is black and it goes with everything,” Thomas said. 

Regardless, masks are non-negotiable and one of the most important ways to combat COVID-19. Dowling’s school nurse, Mrs. Jessie Smith, talked to the Post on why it’s important for everyone to do their part to help flatten the curve. 

“Masks are important to help keep others well and limit transmission. They do not make up for social distancing, but do help if a person is infected with a communicable disease,” Mrs. Smith said. “It prevents droplets from coughing, sneezing, or even talking from spreading as far. Masks should be at least two layers thick. Thicker, more densely woven fabric is ideal.”

If you feel your mask may not be protective enough, a good trick is to slide another  piece of cloth, a coffee filter, or something you have sitting around, in between the front and back layer of the mask. 

Mrs. Smith also elaborated on what more we can do to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

“The best ways to help flatten the curve are to practice social distancing, continue to wear masks, practice good hand washing, stay home when you’re sick, and not attend large gatherings,” Mrs. Smith said.

As mentioned, there are many easy steps everyone can take to keep themselves and their loved ones safe. In this case, masks are no exception. Whether it be the classic, blue disposable mask, a cloth alternative, or anything in between, masks are here to stay. So, put that bad boy on, over the mouth and nose, stay socially distant, and let’s fight this virus together.