A Look into Vegetarian Options at Dowling

There are so many vegetarians at Dowling Catholic who have struggled finding an alternative to meat in the Cafeteria. Having a vegetarian option in the cafeteria could help vegetarian students be at a greater convenience.

Sarah Wicker, Staff Writer

Molly Ryan, Food Service Director at Dowling Catholic High School, tells all there needs to know about vegetarian options.

Molly Ryan, the Food Service Director at Dowling Catholic explains all there needs to know about having a vegetarian option in the cafeteria. 

“Dowling participates in the National School Lunch program and as part of that program there is not a requirement for a Vegetarian option. In the past there has been an offering and it was not taken by students; it was mostly picked up by adults,” Ryan said. 

There are non-meat options already sold every day in the cafeteria during lunch time. These options include cheese sticks, cottage cheese, peanut butter, hard cooked eggs, and a bean salad.

“There are not many vegetarian items in the marketplace for me to purchase that fall within the government requirements that I must follow.  When you can find items, I have to commit to 96 or 150 servings, if they do not sell, I have wasted the money,” Ryan said.

“A vegetarian meal depends on how strict of a vegetarian you are.   For a strict vegetarian meal, you could take 2 servings of bean salad, 2 servings of fruit, You could ask for a bun or pick up a 2 oz bag of tortilla chips. If you are not a strict vegetarian, if we offer cheese pizza you could take any offering there,” Ryan said. 

Ryan states that she struggles with finding vegetarian options and the pricing tends to be higher. After having this interview, she is considering starting to look at options for vegetarians. 

All that said, Ryan is very intrigued in knowing how many students would be interested and who would actually purchase vegetarian options in our cafeteria. She would also like to know what kinds of vegetarians are in the building so she knows what to look into. She has forms in her office to fill out to let her know about your dietary needs, even a simple email would be a great way to let her know what suits best for you.