Meet the 2020 Homecoming Candidates

A Q&A with the Dowling Catholic 2020 homecoming candidates

Becca Youngers, Staff Writer

“Lights, Camera, Action,” Maroons! Though typical homecoming events have been sidelined this year, homecoming royalty is still up for grabs. I got to know the candidates themselves a little bit more over the past week, and I think the rest of the Dowling Catholic community deserves to get to know them as well. Here are your 2020 homecoming king and queen candidates!

Adowek Ajoung      

Adowek Ajoung (12), queen candidate
  1. What are you involved in here at DCHS?
    1. “I’m currently involved in DC Singers and Jazz Choir. I’m also a former cross country member!”
  2. Are you still enjoying your senior year despite the circumstances of COVID-19? Is senioritis hitting worse being half online?
    1. “I have mixed feelings about this year. I’m so incredibly grateful that we can all be at school once again this semester, especially because it’s senior year! On the other hand, it bums me out sometimes when I think of what this year could’ve been without COVID-19. Regardless, I’m happy to be in school seeing my friends and teachers I’ve missed! The senioritis is hitting SO hard but I know we’ll pull through no matter what.”
  3. What was your reaction to being chosen as a homecoming king/queen candidate? Are you excited about being chosen?
    1.  “I was really shocked! I had a list of people in my head that I thought would definitely make the court. My name was not on my mental list! When I heard my name called first, I was just at a loss for words. It definitely was something I didn’t see coming. It’s very exciting though! This is something I can look back on when I’m older and have lived life. It’ll bring back the nostalgia of high school.”
  4. Did you expect to be chosen as a candidate? Why or why not?
    1. “I truly didn’t expect to be chosen. I’m quiet and reserved most of the time and never thought I’d be the type of person to be chosen for things like this. Very, very, very, very grateful!”
  5. Since the dance is unfortunately not happening this year, do you have other homecoming plans with friends?
    1. “I know the school has put together some fun activities for the student body so I think that’ll be fun! The senior picnic is a great idea and I’m excited!”
  6. Which themed day are you most excited for (Teen Beach Movie Monday, The Outsiders Tuesday, Mean Girls Wednesday, Trolls Thursday, and High School Musical Friday) and why?
    1. “ I’m really excited for Mean Girls Wednesday! “Mean Girls” is a great movie to watch time and time again and I’m glad it’s being used as a theme!”
  7. Going along with the “Lights, Camera, Action” theme, what is one of your favorite movies and why?
    1. “My all time favorite movie has to be The Lion King, the original, aka the only good version. I say this every single day, but the movie as a whole is amazing. Sure, it’s a kids movie but it has great lessons tied into it for all walks of life. Also the soundtrack is absolutely stunning. It brings back so much nostalgia and makes me miss being a kid!”

Antonio Banuelos-Moriel

Antonio Banuelos-Moriel (12), king candidate
    1. “I’m involved in cross country, swimming, special olympics, Maroon Crew, and Ut Fidem.”
    1. “Senior year is going okay. I miss lunch convos and the media center, but online is good. I get to rest during passing periods.”
    1. “I was surprised when i was chosen! I am extremely excited about it though.”
    1. “I wasn’t expecting to be chosen, so it was a nice surprise.”
    1. “I’m hoping to get a party bus with the squad, but we’ll see how that goes.”
    1. “I’m excited for The Blind Side (now Trolls) day because i wanna rep Michigan, GO BIG BLUE, and that’s the only movie I’ve ever cried in.”
    1. “My favorite movie is The Sandlot because it goes back to a time where you get dirty and play outside all day and get into shenanigans while no ones distracted on their phone.”

Peyton Dueling

Peyton Dueling (12), queen candidate
    1. “I’m involved in volleyball, track and field, choir, best buddies leadership, Ut Fidem, NHS, and peer ministry to name a few.”
    1. “I am trying to make the most out of this senior year! I think these crazy opportunities are pushing us that much harder to spend quality time with each other and see the positive in everything by going the extra mile.”
    1. “I was honestly so surprised and I’m so honored. I am so grateful for everyone who even thought to vote for me! I am excited and I think this will be a great hoco week.”
    1. “I honestly did not, but I am so thankful.”
    1. “I think I am getting together with some friends this weekend, and the football game will be fun.”
    1. “I am excited for Mean Girls Wednesday because ya girl loves pink.”
    1. “My favorite movie is Good Will Hunting because Matt Damon is amazing.”

Jude Rafael Borromeo

Jude Rafael Borromeo (12), king candidate
    1. “I’m involved in band, jazz ensemble, brass choir, people to people, science bowl, and student ambassadors.”
    1. “Senior year is going very well so far, despite the unfortunate circumstances. It’s too early to tell if senioritis will hit worse this year, but I’m sure it will hit soon!”
    1. “I was shocked and happy! But mostly just shocked.”
    1. “No, I was shocked.”
    1. “I don’t have other plans with my friends. In order to flatten the curve, I’m planning on having a relaxing night with my family.”
    1. “I’m most excited for Mean Girls Wednesday because Mean Girls is a great movie!”
    1. “My favorite movie franchise is The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and my favorite movie is The Grand Budapest Hotel. They have excellent cinematography, style, and performances!”

Logan Flori

Logan Flori (12), queen candidate
    1. “I’m involved in peer tutors, girls varsity soccer (Co-Captain), Maroon Council, Ut Fidem, newspaper, and newly cross country!”
    1. “I would say I still am enjoying my year, but I’m definitely pretty bummed about missing out on some of the hyped up “senior year” activities like senior mass and even the homecoming dance. Senioritis is definitely hitting me worse because of online school, I assumed it wouldn’t affect me until at least second semester, but I’m already feeling myself check out of even my easiest classes.”
    1. “I laughed pretty hard when I heard my name said over the announcements.”
    1. “I did not expect to be chosen at all. I talked to my close friends and we all voted for totally different people, I was super shocked when I heard my name over the announcements.”
    1. “Well I’m excited I at least get to go to the game this year! My boyfriend and I will probably still go out to dinner and try to enjoy our Saturday night, even if we wish we were dancing in the DowCath cafeteria.”
    1. “I’m most excited for Mean Girls Wednesday for sure. I’m going to go all out, I love both the movie and the musical so much.”
    1. “My favorite movie of all time is Perks of Being a Wallflower, even though the book is better, because of the realistic light it sheds on mental health issues and Logan Lerman’s phenomenal acting.”

Maximilian Brown

Maximillian Brown (12), king candidate
    1. “I am involved in swimming, cross country, track, student ambassadors, special olympics and Ut Fidem.” 
    1. “I am really liking my senior year even despite COVID-19, the reason why is I’m just happy to see everybody in person again and participate in my senior sports seasons.” 
    1. “I was super shocked when I heard my name read over the announcements for hoco king candidate. But I was super excited to hear my friends’ names read as well and to know I would be joining them on the court.”
    1. “I did not expect to be chosen and was really surprised when I was sitting in physics class and heard my name read! Not surprised that the other guys made it though.”
    1.  Instead of the dance I plan on going to the senior picnic on Thursday and having fun at the game this Friday. 
    1. “Out of all the homecoming dress up days I am most looking forward to the Teen Beach Movie day.” 
    1. “One of my favorite movies of all time, because it would be impossible to pick an all time favorite, would be the movie Interstellar.”

Maya Freking

Maya Freking (12), queen candidate
    1. “I am a captain on the cheer team, I play flute in the band, I am a student ambassador, and I am in Maroon Crew!”
    1. “Yes, I am still enjoying my senior year! It’s definitely not what I had been looking forward to all of high school, but I am trying to make the best of it. I am just happy to be at school with some of my classmates. I think being half-online is actually delaying my senioritis. It’s making me wish I had more time with my classmates.”
    1. “I am very excited to be nominated for homecoming queen! I was very surprised and honored! It’s been a super fun experience so far!”
    1. “I did not expect to be nominated at all! I was very shocked when they said my name. Honestly, I didn’t think enough people even knew who I was! I am very glad that I have made a positive impression on my class, though!”
    1. “I am super bummed there’s no dance this year, because school dances are so much fun!! So instead, I am going to do something with my friends. I think we’re going to get dressed up and do something fun together! It won’t be the same, but it will still be a great memory with my friends!”
    1. “Definitely High School Musical Friday, because I love that movie!! I will be wearing a football jersey with my cheer skirt, because that’s what the cheerleaders do on the Friday of homecoming. That’s always really fun for us!”
    1. “It’s tough to pick just one, but one of my favorites is Cool Runnings. I like it because I think it’s really funny. Also, it’s a true story and I love movies that are actually real.” 

Parker Jameson

Parker Jameson (12), king candidate
    1. “Football, track, trap, Ut Fidem, and Maroon Crew.”
    1. “Yes I am still enjoying school, and I actually like the hybrid.”
    1. “I wasn’t expecting it so when I heard my name I was excited.”
    1.  “I figured It could be a possibility, but there are a lot of guys in the grade.”
    1. “I have no plans yet, but I’m sure I’ll do something with my friends.”
    1. The Blind Side (now Trolls) Thursday because I like football, and I’m probably going to wear an Iowa State jersey despite our devastating loss.”
    1.  “I like any of the James Bond movies because I like action.”

Karleigh Osborn

Karleigh Osborn (12), queen candidate
    1. “I am involved in cross country, track and field, Maroon Crew, Ut Fidem, student ambassadors, students & seniors and super cool service club.”
    1.  I am enjoying my senior year! I actually think the days I am online help with senioritis.  I get a little extra sleep since I don’t have to get ready and commute to school.  I can also learn while wrapped in blankets on my couch.”
    1. “I was excited and also honored.  I’m glad we are still able to keep the spirit of homecoming alive despite the dance being cancelled.”
    1. “I was not expecting to be elected!  It was a nice surprise and it of course is uplifting that your peers think highly of you.”
    1. “I don’t plan on getting dressed up with my friends, but I am sure we will hangout!”
    1. “I am most excited for Thursday.  I will only be at school Tuesday and Thursday due to the hybrid schedule, so I think I am looking forward to dressing sporty rather than something from The Outsiders.” 
    1. “I love all of the Nicholas Sparks movies. Safe Haven is probably my favorite, because it stars Julianne Hough, who I adore.”

Nolan Khyl

Nolan Khyl (12), king candidate
    1. “At DCHS I’m involved in cross country, track, swimming, Ut Fidem, student ambassadors, choir, and Maroon Crew.”
    1. “I’m still enjoying my senior year a lot even with all the new changes. I just try to focus on the good things we are able to do instead of all the negative changes.”
    1. “I was pretty surprised at being chosen as a candidate, but I think it will be a fun experience!”
    1. “I did not expect to be chosen because I didn’t really ask people who they voted for, so I had no idea.”
    1. “My social circle makes plans at the last minute, but we’ll come up with something fun even without the dance.”
    1. “I think Monday’s theme will be the best. We can get beachy and act like it’s summer.”
    1. “One of my favorite movies is The Godfather because it’s an interesting story and it’s a well-made movie.”

Mary Sweetman

Mary Sweetman (12), queen candidate
    1. “Swimming, students and seniors, Ut Fidem, Special Olympics, cards for a cause, Maroon Crew.”
    1. “I am still enjoying it! I wish when I went to school I could see all my friends. I miss my beginning of the alphabet friends. Senioritis isn’t too bad for me because this year I am taking more classes that I am interested in so I feel more motivated to learn.”
    1. “I was surprised and excited to be chosen. I think it is fun that my friends and classmates thought of me.”
    1. “I didn’t really think about homecoming court because we don’t have a dance this year.”
    1. “Yes I am looking forward to homecoming weekend. I am still going to dress up with a bunch of friends, take pictures, and dance to music. We are having a cookout at Saylorville Lake.”
    1. “I would say I am most excited for High School Musical theme even though I don’t get to go to school because it is my favorite movie. I will still be dressing up at home!”
    1. “My favorite movie of all time is High School Musical. I love the sound track and the actors of course.”

Grant Mullenbach

Grant Mullenbach (12), king candidate
    1. “Baseball, choir, Maroon Crew, and flag football.”
    1. “I am enjoying senior year a lot, spending time with friends. I feel like senioritis is only when I am online, not really in school.”
    1. “I was kinda happy to be chosen. I like to tell people I wasn’t but it’s an honor.”
    1. “I kind of did because some of my friends tried to make people vote for me.”
    1. “Me and some friends are going to take pictures.”
    1. The Blind Side (now Trolls). I am most excited because it is one of my favorite movies, a good movie to cry to, and I will be at school so that’s a plus.”
    1. “Along with The Blind Side I’d say MoneyballI just because I like baseball so much and I like seeing that side of the game.”

Cecilia Villa

Cecilia Villa (12), queen candidate
    1. “Art club, soccer, student ambassadors, special olympics, huddle, outreach, eucharistic ministers, NHS, and NCYL.”
  1. Are you still enjoying your senior year despite the circumstances of COVID-19? Is senioritis hitting worse being half online?
    1. “Yes, I am enjoying my senior year more than expected, but it is still disappointing I can’t see everyone every day. I love being able to see at least half of the people, but I miss the people who are in the front of the alphabet or fully online. Senioritis is hitting way harder than I expected, and I do think it is because we are hybrid. Being at home all wrapped up in a blanket is making me want to do school less and less a lot quicker than I expected.”
  1. What was your reaction to being chosen as a homecoming king/queen candidate? Are you excited about being chosen?
    1. “I honestly didn’t know until someone texted me congratulating me because I was online the day they announced it. I was so surprised because I didn’t tell anyone to vote for me, but I was so excited. I am extremely excited and pumped to be able to be on court even without a dance this year.”
  1. Did you expect to be chosen as a candidate? Why or why not?
    1. “I did not expect to be a candidate at all. I didn’t tell anyone to vote for me and since my name is at the end of the alphabet. I didn’t expect anyone to scroll to the end and vote for me.” 
  1. Since the dance is unfortunately not happening this year, do you have other homecoming plans with friends?
    1. “I am planning on inviting a group of friends over for dinner, a bonfire, and a movie outside if the weathers nice.” 
  1. Which themed day are you most excited for (Teen Beach Movie Monday, The Outsiders Tuesday, Mean Girls Wednesday, Trolls Thursday, and High School Musical Friday) and why?
    1. “I am so excited for Teen Beach Movie because I love hawaiin shirts, crocs, and buckets hats so it is my favorite when things are beach themed!”
  1. Going along with the “Lights, Camera, Action” theme, what is one of your favorite movies and why?
    1. “My favorite movie is Tall Girl. I love it because it is one of those movies where it is so bad it is good, and it never fails to make me laugh. It also annoys my friends when I ask to watch it which is always fun.”

Cael Stark

Cael Stark (12), king candidate
    1. “I’m involved in track and cross country, Best Buddies leadership team, Ut Fidem, students and seniors, peer ministry, fishing club, paul bearers club, Maroon Crew, and much more.” 
    1. “Yes, although COVID-19 has impacted everyone’s lives tremendously, I am enjoying senior year to the best of my ability. Senioritis is just as normal with all the circumstances!”
    1. “My reaction was thankfulness towards my peers. I’m excited about being on the court.”
    1. “I did not, there are plenty of other well-deserved candidates.”
    1. “Most-likely, definitely hanging with the boys for sure.”
    1. Teen Beach Movie Monday. I’ve got a fire outfit to wear to school and it’s always fun dressing up and seeing everybody’s outfits. 
    1. “Baby Driver. It’s action packed, great actors, qual screening. One of my all time favorite movies.” 

The King and Queen will be announced Friday, September 18th, during halftime at the homecoming football game vs. Waukee. Good luck to all and happy hoco week!

The 2020 homecoming candidates shining almost as bright as the stars themselves!