Taking a Look Into the College World

An interview with Dowling alumni, now facing college all online

Betsy Dryer has set up her room to fit her school needs.

Molly Dryer, Staff Writer

Dowling Catholic isn’t the only place looking different this semester. Many schools have gone all-online or changed their facility to make it safe for the students. Colleges, with thousands of students, have had to change completely.

Many Dowling alumni are spending this semester back home. As high schoolers are missing out on some of their best days, so are millions of college students. 

Ava Logsdon, class of 2018, is attending Iowa State University as an advertising major, is fully online, and is living on campus. She has tried to fill up as much of her free time as possible, but it’s hard with everyone’s different schedules.

“I try to keep myself as busy as possible so I can get out of the apartment. If I didn’t work, I would have little reason to leave my apartment and probably spend too much time watching TV,” Logsdon said.

Schedules are completely determined on what you are majoring in. Some of Logsdon’s friends are fully in-person, some hybrid, and some are even completely online.

Betsy Dryer, class of 2018, is attending the University of Iowa and is fully online, but this year she is deciding to stay home. She wanted to be able to stay safe, continue to make money, and save a little extra by not having to pay for rent.

“I knew I would be able to keep myself busy with school and work. I enjoy my job in Des Moines, and it pays well, plus I don’t have to worry about paying my bills,” Dryer said.

Although it is completely up to the students on whether or not they want to stay home, universities are trying their best to stay safe.

The schools have enforced many rules and regulations, but it is up to each student to respect those. Some students knew the risk they would be putting their family at and decided to stay home.

“Not only would it have been hard to go back to school and have the rules, but I also know a lot of students wouldn’t obey the rules and parties are big in Iowa City,” Dryer said. 

For Logsdon, she knew what she was getting into and is staying as safe as possible with limiting her exposure in Ames. 

“In fact we [Ames] were the worst place in the world for COVID at one point. I know many places around campus offer masks and hand sanitizer when you enter the building. I haven’t seen too many people not wearing masks which is a good thing,” Logsdon said. 

The students also recognize that they are also putting all the families in the city at risk. Universities are trying to keep their students under control to also keep the city and citizens safe.

“I think students finally understand the impact this has on not only other students, but the families living in Ames,” Logsdon said. 

For current Dowling Catholic students or alumni, we are all trying to keep safe and healthy during these tough times.