Senior Swimmer Spotlight

Dowling Catholic Swim and Dive’s Mary Sweetman wins the Des Moines Register’s Athlete of the Week

Des+Moines+Register%27s+Athlete+of+the+Week+Mary+Sweetman.+Photo+by+Theresa+Schumacher.+

Des Moines Register’s Athlete of the Week Mary Sweetman. Photo by Theresa Schumacher.

Caroline Schultz, Staff Writer

Senior Mary Sweetman may be closing in on her final swim season of her high school career, but she is showing no signs of slowing down.

“My biggest accomplishment this season is qualifying for state in all of the freestyle events,”  Sweetman said.

Sweetman’s accomplishments are big indeed, and the people of Des Moines agree. Last week, Sweetman was affectionately voted The Des Moines Register’s Female Athlete of the Week for September 21st-27th, beating out four other accomplished women from across the state. 

“I was surprised to be nominated and even more surprised to win. There are a lot of accomplished girl athletes,” Sweetman said. 

Although Sweetman is a powerhouse on her own, her overarching goal for the season is winning a state title with team. 

“I am excited for state this year. We have a chance to win state for the second year in a row,” Sweetman said. 

Regardless of if Sweetman caps off her high school swim career with a state title, she plans to continue swimming at the collegiate level.

Sweetman said, “In the future I plan to swim and study nursing in college.”

Mary Sweetman’s Article in the Des Moines Register