Five Breakfasts to Kick Start your Day

Dowling students share some of their favorite quick, delicious breakfast options

Natalie Thomas, Staff Writer

The early bird gets the worm, or in this case, the avocado toast, right?

Oatmeal is a classic that you can easily spice up. Add in your favorite fruits, toppings, and granola to make it special. Popular oatmeal toppings are: coconut, peanut butter, and cocoa powder. All of these give you some extra energy to set you up for a great day. Claire Sullivan (11) has it almost everyday for breakfast. 

“It gives me the extra nutrients I need to make it through the day,” Sullivan said. 

Kodak Cakes: blueberry muffins and maple brown sugar oatmeal

Eleanor Meek (11) doesn’t like oatmeal, but loves Avocado toast which has been on the rise in recent years. It takes a while to make, but it is definitely worth it. Add eggs to the side from some more protein or add a sunny side egg on top for the perfect sandwich. You can also spice it up with Everything But the Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe’s.

“Avocado toast tastes super good and becomes easier to make the more you have it,” Meek said. 

Kodiak Cakes are an easy go-to breakfast. With the brand selling microwaved oatmeal, pancakes, and muffins, you can have an easy meal within a minute. Athletes love these because they are so easy to make and filled with protein. Giving them the extra energy for the day.  Kate Easter (11)  found out about Kodak Cakes freshmen year from the seniors on the cross country team, and since then on she has been hooked. 

“I like them because they’re healthy but they taste unhealthy,” Easter said. 

Along with Kodak Cakes, bagels are an easy grab and go meal for the days you’re in school.  There’s many different types of bagels to choose from. Whether you want a plain, blueberry, cinnamon sugar they are all good options. Becca Youngers (11) loves bagels and eats them daily finding that they are a perfect breakfast meal. 

“Bagels are the perfect food because of the many varieties of sweet and savory,  I am also obsessed with cream cheese so it ends up as the perfect combination,” Youngers said. 

For the days when you need a pick me up, check out the different breads at Caribou Coffee or Starbucks. The menus there are constantly changing but some classics are coffee cake and banana bread. Remember to treat yourself and never skip a meal especially during these unpredictable times.