21 Days of Equity

Dowling participates in the 21 Days of Equity Challenge to educate community on racial issues

Adowek Ajoung (12) showing her appreciation for the 21 Days of Equity Challenge.

Caroline Schultz, Staff Writer

Over the summer racial tensions rose to an all-time high in the United States. The death of George Floyd ignited a movement of education and activism against racial injustice while serving as a crucial reminder that improvement is still pivotal for all races to be considered equal in America.

In recognition of the urgent problem taking place in our communities, Dowling has taken up the 21 Days of Equity Challenge. For around fifteen minutes each day, for the next 21 days, the Dowling community will be attempting to dissect the colossal issue of racial inequity through education and understanding. Students are encouraged to ponder the questions and information presented by faculty regarding racial equity, and journal on how this impacts themselves and others each day.  

The Post talked to Adowek Ajoung (12), a woman of color, on how she stands regarding Dowling’s methods to combat racial inequity. Ajoung has been fervently advocating for the Black Lives Matter movement, taking to social media, and even speaking at protests to stand up for racial justice. 

“Personally I think the 21 Days of Equity Challenge is a good starting point. I don’t remember a time from freshmen to now my senior where we’ve actually sat down and had these conversations of race be the main subject for everyone. Both in school and in the world,” Ajoung said. 

Ajoung believes that conversing about these tough topics is a good place to begin in the complex fight against racial inequity. 

“These conversations are so important, and we have to have them in order for real change to occur,” Ajoung said.

Although Ajoung acknowledges Dowling’s first steps in the right direction, she believes there is still much more to be done.

“I’m a person who wants tangible results and wants to see ideas put into action,” Adjoung said, “If more emphasis can be placed on why we’re even having these conversations in the first place then that’s where real change can occur. That’s when attitudes change and that’s when the climate of our world can take a turn for the better.”

In today’s climate, social media can be a helpful tool for spreading messages and ideas. However, Ajoung warns on the dangers of performative activism.

“I’ve seen my fair share of performative activism, especially with social media being the most accessible place for information,” Ajoung said.

Ajoung appreciates the efforts being made to improve understanding of racial inequality at Dowling through the 21 Days of Equity Challenge, and is hopeful that we continue to stay committed to challenging ourselves, even when the 21 days are over.

“If we keep moving forward and work towards this goal as a school community, not deflecting or turning away from the situation, we’ll be in good standing. Kudos to Mr. Meeks and Mr. Herring for getting a conversation like this starting!” Ajoung said. 

Dowling community, it is our responsibility to take these next 21 days of opportunity seriously. There is no better time than now to become involved and informed in this movement for racial justice.