New Year, New Resolutions

Dowling Catholic students and staff say goodbye to 2020 and set resolutions for 2021!

Natalie Bejarno

Lifetime gym is a place where many Dowling students go to achieve their New Year’s resolutions.

Natalie Bejarno, Staff Writer

As the clock struck 12:00 on New Year’s Eve, people’s minds were filled with ways to make the next year better. Thoughts of what they didn’t accomplish in 2020 become “New Year’s resolutions” as 2021 began. These resolutions can be anything from achieving new goals or beginning better lifestyles in the new year. At Dowling Catholic High School, students and staff alike have planned to try to make 2021 a less stressful and more successful year.

“My New Year’s resolution this year is to ‘chillax more,’ and to not get so stressed out. I am planning on achieving this by walking with my friend every day!” Spanish Teacher Mrs. Sullivan said. 

A fresh start is on everyone’s to-do list this year. 2020 was a year that brought chaos, stress and uncertainty to everyone. 2021 will be a great time to look at the positives that the new year will bring. 

“I’m going to write down one good thing that happened to me each week of 2021. I am going to set reminders on my phone every week,” Alaina Cleghorn (9) said.

Along with going into 2021 with your own positive attitudes and goals, others are doing the same. Reaching out and meeting new people could be a big benefit in your own life along with others’.

“Another one of my resolutions is to reach out to new people at school and at other activities,” Cleghorn said.

Not only are people’s goals to improve relationships and mental health, but physical health is just as important. Some people set goals such as eating healthy or to go to the gym more often. Liz Wallin’s (11) resolution is just that. 

“I want to go to the gym five days a week to make myself more fit and healthy for this next year,” Wallin said.

New Year’s resolutions are important, but they can also be hard to commit to. With the support around the Dowling Catholic community, students and staff are ready for the new year along with the positives and challenges it might bring.