The Beginning of the End

The Dowling Catholic Class of 2022 prepares to sign up for classes this week, one of their first “lasts” they will experience as soon-to-be seniors.

Becca Youngers

Olivia Spraklin (11) looks over the senior course packet and plans out her last classes at Dowling.

Becca Youngers, Staff Writer/Editor

The start to a new semester brings class registration annually for Dowling students. This year, however, is a little different. With the introduction of the controversial quarter schedule, students have yet to experience some of their second semester classes. Consequently, much contemplation has occurred on class choice, especially for the junior class as their time at Dowling starts to come to a close.

With third quarter classes commencing last week, students have subjective opinions on their feelings towards their new classes. Some students like Anna Heitzman (11) are already dreading the next seven weeks, yearning for spring break and new classes.

“I’m already ready for a change from my current quarter classes. They aren’t interesting to me, and I don’t have many people to talk to in them,” Heitzman said.

Other students, such as Lauren Linkletter (11), are indifferent to their new classes, trying to see the positives through a somewhat difficult transition into quarter three. 

“I’m not a huge fan of the classes I’m taking at the moment, but next quarter I’m taking Ceramics+, and I’m excited for that change,” Linkletter said.

Before any juniors could get adjusted to their new schedules, their senior class registration was announced for Tuesday and Wednesday, the 12th and 13th. One of the cons of quarter scheduling that was introduced this school year was not having some classes, particularly electives, before class registration. Due to this, many students like Abby Dressen (11) haven’t set aside any time yet to ponder their future decisions.

“I honestly haven’t looked much into what classes I could take for next year,” Dressen said.

On the contrary, students like Heitzman have been planning out particular electives to take that they have gravitated interest towards.

“I’ve been thinking about taking Ceramics and either Yearbook or Newspaper,” Heitzman said. “I’m really excited to take Sociology because I’ve heard it’s really interesting, and the topics intrigue me.”

Throughout high school, students tend to gravitate towards specific subjects. Junior and senior year alike give many students the opportunity to branch out even more into those preferred subjects. For every student, it’s different.

For Ava Roemen (11), it’s science and math based classes.

Talia Schiltz (11) skims over her classes on her packet before requesting them on OnCampus. (Becca Youngers)

“I’m excited to sign up for anatomy even though I’ve heard it’s a hard class because it sounds really interesting,” Roemen said.

Other students like Dressen and Linkletter prefer the arts.

“I’m just looking forward to taking another ceramics class. They’re by far my favorite classes to take,” Dressen said.

“I’m really excited about Digital Photography. I took Photography my sophomore year, and it was definitely my favorite class I’ve taken at Dowling so far,” Linkletter said.

Class registration sets the mood for “senior things” to begin to look forward to. Again, the future is still pretty unpredictable for the Class of 2022. Having already lived through much of the COVID-19 pandemic, nothing is set in stone for the future seniors.

Though unpredictable, almost the entirety of the Class of 2022, like much of the word, is extremely optimistic and hopeful for their future.

“I really think that things will be as normal as possible by my senior year. I’d like to think that I’ll be able to have at least two normal years at Dowling,” Heitzman said. 

“I hope that we’re able to go to football games as seniors and finally go to school dances,” Roemen said.

As the junior class embarks on their first “lasts,” the question of college and future, previously pretty dormant, begins to be a more pressing question. 

Students like Heitzman and Dressen are enthusiastic, somewhat already ready to leave the chapter of high school behind and get going on a plan for their futures.

“I plan to pursue studies in child life in college,” Heitzman said.

“For myself personally, I hope I start to make a planned out future for myself. I need to get to know myself better so I can go into college with a direct goal,” Dressen said. “I am really excited to see what the future has for me outside of school.”

Other students are ready to simply leave junior year behind, anxiously awaiting being true upperclassmen. 

“I’m really excited for my senior year. It is kind of sad to think about graduating and leaving some of my friends that I have made at Dowling, but I’m excited to finally be a senior,” Roemen said.

As usual, it seems that the time has gone by in the blink of an eye for the junior class. It doesn’t feel too long ago that they were running like madmen to their first classes, trying to avoid eye-contact with anyone who resembled an upperclassmen. Now, they undertake something completely unprecedented: senior year. Though it might not be as unprecedented as a pandemic, many will still be hoping they could close their eyes and turn back into their wide-eyed freshman-self, cherishing every moment that much more.