How to Take Your First Shot at NHS

How to get into NHS, and how one student is approaching the task.

Eleanor Meek, Staff Writer

The opportunity be selected for National Honors Society, also known as NHS, has opened up to Juniors that have met the correct GPA requirements. Although the students that attempt to get into NHS have to meet several other requirements, they’re all up for the challenge! 

One eager student is Olivia Spracklin(11). She is trying to get into NHS this spring and is excited for the opportunity. 

“I am trying to get into NHS mainly because it will look good for college, but I also want to see what other opportunities it could lead to.”

Besides meeting the correct GPA requirement, students also have to be involved in two activities or groups at Dowling for two years. Spracklin already has this covered.

“I have been involved in basketball for all three of my years in high school as well as soccer for nearly three years because our season didn’t happen last year because of Covid and peer tutors,” Spracklin said.

Along with being in two activities or groups at Dowling for two years, students must have a total of five recommendations from teachers and moderators of the clubs, teams, or activities they have participated in. Spracklin has already decided on two of these recommendations.

“I am asking Mrs. Wiskus because I have had her for three years and she knows what kind of student I am and Mr. McGuire because I really admire him as a teacher and I really enjoy his class,” Spracklin said.

NHS is a very competitive group to join at Dowling because of the amount of applicants. There are 200 Juniors alone that have met the GPA requirement for the NHS Selection Process, and although this is a very daunting number, Spracklin still has hope.

“I really hope I make it into NHS. I think I have good character and leadership skills, and I hope it shows enough in the classroom enough for me to get into NHS,” Spracklin said.

Thankfully for Juniors they will be eligible for NHS their Senior year, and those who don’t make it this year can be selected again next year. Spracklin’s determination won’t shake if she doesn’t make it into NHS. 

“If I don’t make it, I will most likely try again next year because that’s the kind of person I am,” Spracklin said.

*This article has been updated from its original version. This article is meant to give a student’s personal perspective on the NHS Selection Process. If a student has any specific questions regarding the NHS Selection Process, requirements, or their own eligibility, they should reach out to Ms. Kelsey Staudacher through her email.*