The Wonders of Working

Discover why fellow classmates love being employed and having a job outside of school.

Alex+Potter+%2812%29+and+her+co-workers+posing+with+Wonder+Woman+during+a+Wonder+Woman+1984+special+event+at+Jordan+Creek+Theaters.+

Alex Potter

Alex Potter (12) and her co-workers posing with Wonder Woman during a Wonder Woman 1984 special event at Jordan Creek Theaters.

Sofia Manzano, Staff Writer

Having a job is a responsibility outside of school that most students are familiar with. Many see the advantages to being employed as they learn time management skills and the value of hard work. 

Being employed definitely has its perks, and having a good work-family makes a big difference. Co-workers can have a huge impact on whether a student enjoys their job or not.  

“My favorite part about working at DSW is all my amazing co-workers,” Logan Flori (12) said. “We’re almost all teenage girls and we just get to talk about life for our whole shifts.”

Some students’ jobs require them to have multiple positions, allowing them to utilize different skills with each position. 

“At the Jordan Creek Theatre I work three different positions: usher, concessions, and box office cashier,” Alex Potter (12) said. “Lately, I’ve only been scheduled as an usher, meaning I direct customers to their auditoriums and clean the auditoriums after showings have ended.”

Being employed during the school year can prove to be challenging sometimes, but students value and recognize the importance of time management. Employed at Culver’s, Luke Mcllhon (12) has created an effective schedule between school and work. 

“During the school year, I ease off on my workload a lot,” Mcllhon said. “ I usually only work about ten hours a week, but right now I’m working even less to give myself time for school work and extracurricular activities.”

Others don’t see work and school as the hard part, but some students who are involved in a lot can vouch for the difficulty.

“It’s not just my work and school for me, it’s also musical, speech and debate, family commitments, and homework that cause issues for me,” Ellie Coleman (12) said. ” I do my best to stay completely free on the weekends to ensure that I work a minimum of two days.”

While having a job can be hard work, there are just some jobs that don’t feel like a job. Allison Pedersen (11) works at Respite Connections, working with individuals who have special needs, and she loves every minute of it. She has made very fun and inspiring memories working there. 

“Working at Respite Connections is my biggest passion,” Pedersen said. ” My favorite work memory was when I was with a nine-year-old girl diagnosed with Down Syndrome, and she was able to walk up the stairs by herself for the first time. She was so proud of herself and had the biggest smile I had ever seen.”

Despite the challenges having a job may bring, most students are grateful for the opportunity to learn what it means to be responsible while also having fun.

Allison Peterson (11) having fun teaching numbers to one of her Respite kids.