Calling in for Conferences

The Post chats with Graphics and Photography teacher, Mrs. Cooper, on parent-teacher conferences.

Becca Youngers

The Post discusses conferences this past week and what looked new

Becca Youngers, Staff Writer/Editor

Parent-teacher conferences concluded this week, but keeping the common theme of everything this year, they looked a little different. 

Usually, parents sign up for meeting times with their student’s teachers and come into the school to converse. With COVID-19, conferences were moved to a familiar place, Google Meet. Graphics and Photography teacher, Mrs. Lindsay Cooper, enjoyed the efficiency of using Google Meet for conferences this past week.

“The meetings with parents on Google Meets have worked well because it is very similar to being in person,” Mrs. Cooper said.

Earlier in the year, during quarter one, parents were offered a virtual version of mini school night. This included a pre-recorded video from their student’s teachers describing their respective courses. The connection between parents and teachers, though, was missing. The new virtual conference aspect has allowed for this connection to remain safely and nicely.

“I do enjoy conferences with parents. I tend to laugh with parents often and that was missing this year. A lot more emails [to parents] have been the result,” Mrs. Cooper said.

Google Meet was an non-intimidating place for teachers to result for conferences. Though some parents were still unfamiliar with the technology, constant use of technology has become the new normal for teachers.

“There have been a lot of challenges and it has not been easy. Everyone has had to do a lot of learning and teachers have become a lot like students in many ways,” Mrs. Cooper said. “It’s been a good reminder that we are always learning no matter what age we are.”

Conferences have always brought a little nervousness to students and teachers alike. This year was no exception. With COVID-19, though, most teachers and students have taken every regular aspect of previous daily life with extended gratitude.

“I get excited telling the parents how well the student is doing, what I notice about their personality and how they work hard. And this is the truth because there is always something good to say about every student, always,” Mrs. Cooper said.