The Buccaneer’s Best Girl

Read all about the Des Moines Buccaneer’s newest intern: Senior Caroline Thompson.

Caroline Thompson

Thompson with her parents who came to watch a hockey game with her.

Sofia Manzano, Staff Writer

Most student jobs involve working retail and being a cashier for stores, but this is not the case for Caroline Thompson. Working as a business operations intern for the Des Moines Buccaneers, Thompson has learned a lot about what it takes to be a part of the hockey family. 

If you know Thompson, you know that she loves hockey with all her heart. Miracle day is her favorite holiday, and she owns various hockey jerseys. One teacher noticed her love for the game and introduced her to people who could hire her as an intern.

“I wouldn’t have been able to get the job if it wasn’t for Mrs. Sandbothe and her amazing career exploration class,” Thompson said. “I’m really glad I took her class.”

This new job has allowed Thompson to expand her customer service and communication skills as her job contains a wide social atmosphere.

“As a business operations intern, I work with all the business and special event aspects of the Des Moines Buccaneers,” Thompson said. “With business, there will always be people to talk to.”

Thompson works every home hockey game, which is between 2-6 games a month, and she has learned many valuable working skills and information regarding hockey.

“While at my internship, I have learned a lot about the local hockey community in Des Moines,” Thompson said. “I have also learned how to interact with a wide variety of people, and it definitely helps that I am a people person who is not afraid of strangers.”

Even though Thompson just recently became an intern, she has already made some favorite memories while working at the Buck’s Arena.

“My favorite memory so far was when I got to stand on the ice and run the player jersey auction for Breast Cancer Awareness,” Thompson said.

Another thing that Thompson enjoys as an intern is the work environment.

“The environment is pretty chill but not effortless,” Thompson said. “As a team, we constantly have to be on top of what we are doing.”

Being an intern has its perks, especially when you work for a hockey team. Thompson has quickly discovered the extra benefits of working at the Des Moines Buccaneers.

“One of the biggest perks of working there is meeting people who have been in my community but have never been in contact with me,” Thompson said. “I have met so many cool people of all ages that share an interest in my favorite sport, and we bond over that.”

Thompson is forever grateful that she is able to enjoy her love of hockey once again through this internship as COVID-19 did temporarily put hockey games on hold.

“I’m super stoked that we were able to still continue the season despite the virus because I get to be near what I love and help create a sweet experience for other people who feel the same way,” Thompson said.

Thompson’s view of the scoreboard at the Des Moines Buccaneers Area.