Kairos During Covid

Throughout the pandemic, Dowling students are still seeking a stronger connection with God. Kairos is a great way to start.

Patrick Feltz

Students receive a necklace from Kairos afterwards

Patrick Feltz, Staff Writer

Kairos is a big tradition here at Dowling. The retreat is typically held on the weekends and juniors and seniors are the ones that go on it.

“I was on K134 the last weekend of January. We left Thursday evening after school and got back on Sunday. It was four days and three nights,” Adam Hanten (11) said.

The most important and exciting part about Kairos is the faith-filled experience students feel when attending, as well as improving their faith with God and having a stronger connection with their friends.

“It was everything I needed from God when I needed it the most. [Kairos] Really improved my connection with Him. I definitely had a much bigger and stronger connection with God and my friends,” Hanten said.

Afterwards, students should not rely on Kairos to be their only way to contain their relationship with God. Post-Kairos, students should work to continue their relationship with God.

“I plan on going to Prime Time Mass a lot more and to lead a Kairos would be really cool,” Hanten said.

Unfortunately, Covid has brought about some minor changes, but that shouldn’t significantly hinder the students’ experience.

“This Kairos was different because of Covid and with reduced numbers. It was at a different center. But honestly, it felt the same, except for wearing masks, and we could only take them off when we were sleeping or in our own little bubble,” Hanten said.

When it came to planning Kairos, students should not do it because their friends are doing it. They should do it for themselves.

“I knew a lot of friends, but I just went to go for myself, and not because of who was and wasn’t going to Kairos,” Hanten said.

The thing students should ask themselves when planning is what they are going to regret more: going or not going.

“If you want to go or not, you would want to go so if you don’t regret in the future. When you do go, go with an open heart and let God do his work,” Hanten said.