International Women’s Day 2021

A personal account as to why International Women’s Day matters.

Stella Logsdon

March 8th is International Women’s Day!

Stella Logsdon, Staff Writer/Editor

March 8th, 2021, marks International Women’s Day, a day dedicated to celebrating women and their achievements, as well as bringing light to the political, social, and economic injustices within the realm of gender bias. In 2021, this is more important than ever before as our society is constantly evolving. There are many aspects that fall under the umbrella that is International Women’s Day, and as someone who identifies as a woman, I find there to be value in my words and experiences on days such as these.

Honestly speaking, there are challenges to being a woman in a Catholic school. That is not to say anything negative regarding Catholicism as a whole, but as comes with any religion, there are many interpretations of what incorporating your faith and your every day life may look like. Mixing the ages and environment of a high school only add to this. For example, somebody who holds more traditional, conservative beliefs might wind up sitting at the desk next to somebody who believes in polar opposite ideas. This is just the reality of Catholic school in 2021, and at times, the mixing of both social and educational relationships can be a fine line to try and walk.

As someone who outspokenly holds quite progressive beliefs, I see the vitality of International Women’s Day without any hesitation. As mentioned previously, I am surrounded by people who may not understand the importance upon first thought. The reality is, issues such as these are not new things, but rather new terms. International Women’s Day has been celebrated, to some capacity, for over a century, so why do some argue it to be unnecessary, or claim that the day is some agenda related to the superiority of one gender over another?

Frankly, I can’t answer that question. Feminism, the driving force behind things such as International Women’s Day, is defined by Merriam-Webster as the, “belief in and advocacy of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes expressed especially through organized activity on behalf of women’s rights and interests.” Necessarily, and one step further, inter sectional feminism includes those of varying race, ethnicity, gender identity, social class, and so on. At it’s simplest, those who identify as feminists are striving for equality for every human. Therefore, the stereotype that surrounds feminism is in no way true. Though this may be an upset to some, if you believe in equality that spans beyond personal or social identity, you most likely fall under the category of ‘feminist.’

So, why does today matter after all? Though incredible work is being done all across the world for womxn (a term used for the inclusion of those who are transgender and gender non-binary), our work is no where near finished. My experience as a woman today is extremely different to womxn of previous generations, and will be different than those who come after me. Acknowledging those making positive strides, both at a political and social level, is essential for the continuation of that work. However, that is not to say that the only work needed to be done regarding gender equality lies within politics. Often, the issue itself is misconstrued as solely a political issue, but this is far from the truth. Though systematic, legal, and policy-related action are incorporated into implementing change, gender equality is not political, but rather personal. Adapting the way in which you speak, act, and listen to be inclusive are extremely beneficial. You don’t have to have immediate power to make a difference.

Of course today matters, but what about tomorrow? What happens when the trending hashtag fades away, or the headlines go back to their typical content? The answer lies in your hands. Most students here at DCHS have the privilege to ignore such issues as these and go back to our day-to-day routines without second thought. But, let it be known that though this is the easy option, it is not the correct option. Rise to the occasion. A good place to start would be acknowledging how hard womxn have had to work to get to a place where International Women’s Day is recognized. Though normal, teenage problems may seem overly consuming, the world outside the walls of school is ever-changing, and if we sit back and ignore that, we are a part of the problem. The fight for gender equality, no matter how one chooses to identify, determines our futures. So today, thank womxn in your life who have made a positive impact, spend time researching stories of activists, donate to organizations working to create a more equal society, and most importantly, treat every day moving forward like it’s International Women’s Day.

More information:

International Women’s Day

Join Dowling Catholic’s very own Feminist Club! Fill out the form!