Senior Check-in Q&A

Seniors are getting ready for the exciting events and the deadlines that are coming up

Mary Kumedjro

A Q&A Session with just a few of the many Dowling seniors

Mary Kumedjro, Staff Writer

Senior year is full of crazy events like taking senior pictures, college visits, and applying for colleges. On top of all that, they have homework and daily problems. They discussed their opinions on these up coming events.

Joe Baumhover (12) (Mary Kumedjro)

Joe Baumhover

Q: How’s the school year going for you? What are some struggles and success this year?

A: “My school year is going very well. My schedule has a lot of open room, so I was able to fill it with classes I have been wanting to take,” Baumhover said.

Q: Did you take senior photos yet?  If yes, where did you take them? If not, where do you plan to take them?

A: “Yes, I took my photos through Tim Vorland,” Baumhover said.

Q: Have you applied for any colleges yet? If you have, where did you apply? What do you plan on majoring in?

A: “I have applied and been accepted to Iowa State University where I will silk major in marketing and minor in advertisement,” Baumhover said.

Allison Pedersen (12) (Mary Kumedjro)

Allison Pedersen

A: “Right now, my school has been pretty stressful. I’m taking some hard classes… Just kinda of a lot of work. My hard class is AP Stats, but on top of that, I’m also taking AP Literature and AP Psychology and a bunch of other electives, so I just really toppled them on each other. Something that is going well is honestly is the social aspect of school, I missed all my friends and having a normal school day, so being able to see all my friends is nice,” Pedersen said.

A: “Yes, I did. I took them in August. They were taken downtown . . . I think,” Pedersen said.

A: Yes, I accepted university of South Dakota officially. I’m planning to major in nursing hopefully,” Pedersen said.

Dinora Cortez (12) (Mary Kumedjro)

Dinora Cortez

A: “The school year has been really good. I’ve been taking things day by day. I surrounded myself with different people and met new people. I wasn’t scared to talk to other people. The only struggle I have is time management, what test to study for or homework to do first, stuff like that,” Cortez said.

A: “I have not taken my senior photos yet. I’m taking them next week… Downtown,” Cortez said.

A: “I have applied to Grandview, Simpson, and that’s all for right now. I want to go in real estate or business and criminal justice,” Cortez said.

Kiden Oromo (12) (Mary Kumedjro)

Kiden Oromo

A: “It’s been going pretty good. There’s just a few classes that I’m struggling with. Some of my success are getting to school every day, and I that don’t have that many hard classes because it’s my senior year,” Oromo said.

A: “Not yet, I plan to take them Downtown, Sculpture Park,” Oromo said.

A: “I haven’t yet. I’m still looking and going on college visits,” Oromo said.

Adian Boyle (12) photo credentials by Adian Boyle

Adian Boyle

A: “I mean it was pretty good. I have all A’s, except for that one English class, and I’m failing right now,” Boyle said.

A: “Not yet, but I think I’m going to take them at jester park,” Boyle said.

A: “I just got accepted into Iowa yesterday. I’m planning on majoring in Psychology,” Boyle said.

Jersie Brailsford 

Jersie Brailsford (12) (Mary Kumedjro)

A: “It’s not too bad, but I guess you can say the senioritis is really kicking in. It’s been kinda hard to find the motivation to do anything, but at the same time I’m having a really fun time making new friends, and getting back to Dowling is nice after being gone for a year. I would say I have enjoyed senior year so far,” Brailsford said.

A: No, I kinda want to take them somewhere country-like, I guess,” Brailsford said.

A: “No, but I want to apply to DMACC and Mercy College of Health Sciences. If I apply to DMACC, I want to start off with my getting my generals and maybe becoming a Dental Hygienist, and then if I end up going to Mercy College of Health Sciences, I want to become a nurse,” Brailsford said.

Sydeny Stone (12) photo credentials by Sydeny Stone

Sydney Stone

A: “I would say staying in class [is a struggle]. My success is that we made it this far,” Stone said.

A: “I have not taken them yet, but I have them planned . . . in a prairie somewhere,” Stone said.

A: “I have. I applied to Iowa Western, Mount Mercy, St. Ambrose, Grandview, Drake, and Iowa State. I will probably major in nursing or something medical,” Stone said.

Nya Choat (12) (Mary Kumedjro)

Nya Choat

A: “The school year has been going great. Some struggles I have been having is probably keeping my grades up, you know, so I can graduate. Some successes are I’ve been doing well on my tests and have a little free time on my hands,” Choat said.

A: “No, I have not taken my senior photos yet. I have an idea, I’d like to have a fall shoot with trees and stuff.” Choat said.

A: “I applied to UNI, Tampa Florida, a college in Atlanta and I think that’s it so far,” Choat said.

Grace Schuster (12) (Mary Kumedjro)

Grace Schuster

A: “It’s really fun. I really enjoyed football games on Fridays, being a part of Maroon Crew, and helping out with Student Ambassadors. I say just trying to get homework done and keeping up with classes and at the same time having senioritis [is a struggle]. I’m ready to go. I am a part of NHS this year, which is exciting. I say I’d do pretty well in my classes. I have a scholarship for my grades,” Schuster said.

A: “I have downtown, but mostly at waterworks park,” Schuster said.

A: ”I have applied and been accepted to the College of Design in landscape architecture . . I plan on majoring in landscape architecture,” Schuster said. 

Armando Aguilar-Jaime (12) (Mary Kumedjro)

Armando Aguilar-Jaime

A: “It’s going by pretty quick. I know I’m going to miss Dowling after I leave, but right now, I kinda don’t miss it. Some struggles are just homework in general and juggling all your classes and staying on top of everything,” Aguilar said. 

A: “No, not yet. I have plans to take some right now during the fall. Maybe Downtown, some here at Dowling by the chapel, and some on the turf with my soccer ball,” Aguilar said.

A: “I haven’t applied but I’m still looking at some colleges. I want to be a Veterinarian,” Aguilar said.