Kilbride takes on The Hound of the Baskervilles

Senior Eva Kilbride lights up the stage at the 2021 fall play

Natalie Thomas

Eva Kilbride and co-actors in a shocking scene.

Natalie Thomas, Staff Writer

The Dowling Catholic performing arts department put on a great show the weekend of November 6. The actors thrilled the audience with a comedy-mystery called The Hound of the Baskervilles. The show follows Shirley Holmes, played by senior Eva Kilbride, as she looks to solve the murder of Sir Charles Baskerville. 

Kilbride has been a part of the Dowling Catholic fall play ever since she was a freshman. Coming into high school, Kilbride knew she wanted to see what acting at Dowling would be like, so the first chance she got, she took. Little did she know, she would find a second family. 

“You would be surprised how easy it is to find a family in the fall play. It is so so enriching to take part and share laughter and jokes and lines; I can not recommend it enough,” Kilbride said. 

Eva Kilbride telling the audience a story. (Natalie Thomas)

You also don’t even have to act to be a part of the fall play. In order to have a working production, there needs to be a crew. The crew is just as important to the play as the actors. Working long hours after school, the crew and actors become family and work hard together to put on something special. 

“You don’t have to act to take part in the fall play; I really encourage anyone to do it,” Kilbride said. 

Kilbride’s character, Shirley Holmes, was a fun and different character to play. The audience was able to see how Kilbride understood her character which came from backstage, where Kilbride and her co-actors made up a funny and fun backstory for her character. 

“Shirley Holmes is such a character. We started making backstage jokes about how Shirley is, what she cares about, and all these funny things. Shirley is a dramatic personality; I had a lot of fun being that on stage,” Kilbride said. 

Kilbride portraying Shirley Holmes reading a letter to the audience. (Natalie Thomas)

Kilbride has shown her talent over the years at Dowling. As she looks into her future and prepares for her next steps, Kilbride will always have a special place in her heart for the Dowling Catholic Fall Play. Although Kilbride has decided not to pursue a professional career in acting, she will always find ways to get involved in theatre. 

“No matter what college I’m going to, I want to take part in more plays and theatre,”  Kilbride said.