Meet the 2022 Winter Formal Candidates

Get to know the candidates!

Meaghan Wittstock

Winter Formal king and queen candidates.

Molly Dryer and Sophie Porter

Winter Formal this year will be held at Forté, with the theme of “Happily Ever After”, a fairytale type of night! Get to know a little bit about the Winter Formal king and queen candidates, and a little bit about there fairytales!

Anna Barnes

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in Ut Fidem, NHS, Maroon Crew, yearbook, and choir.”
  • Did you expect to be a queen candidate? “No, I did not.”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I’m going with Will Bussey.”
  • If you were a fairytale character, who would you be and why? “Princess Belle because she’s always been my favorite, and I can relate to wanting to be stuck inside all day.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “Any type of roll from Blue Sushi.”

King James Barnes

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in cross country, track, and Ut Fidem.”
  • Did you expect to be a king candidate? “I did not expect to be king.”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I’m attending Winter Formal with Sydney Pertzborn.”
  • If you were a fairytale character who would you be and why? “If I had to be a fairytale character it would be Peter Pan because he can fly.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “My ideal last meal would be steak, broccoli, and mashed potatoes.”

Lydia Cleghorn

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in Ut Fidem, 18 Inches, Yearbook, Maroon Crew, NHS.”
  • Did you expect to be a queen candidate? “Heck no.”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I’m going with Andrew Bliss.”
  • If you were a fairytale character, who would you be and why? “I would be Jasmine, so I could hop on my magic carpet and travel the world.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “My Thanksgiving meal that my grandma and aunts make.”

Luke Barten

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in church league basketball.”
  • Did you expect to be a king candidate? “I did expect to be a king candidate because my friends tried to get me selected.”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I’m going to Winter Formal with some friends.”
  • If you were a fairytale character who would you be and why? “If I could be any fairytale character I would be Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon, so I could fly around all day.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “My ideal last meal is steak and macaroni.”

Chase Flori

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in Maroon Crew, Ut Fidem, student council, cross country, reading club, NHS, and soccer.”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I’m attending the dance with Diego Leon.”
  • If you were a fairytale character who would you be and why? “I would be Rapunzel from Tangled because she has a fun and free spirit.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “Definitely, mac and cheese, sushi, and fried rice.”

Andrew Bliss

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in Maroon Crew, football, track, swimming, NHS, and Ut. FIdem.”
  • Did you expect to be a king candidate? “I didn’t expect to be a king candidate”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I am going to Winter Formal with queen candidate, Lydia Cleghorn.”
  • If you were a fairytale character who would you be and why? “If I was a fairytale character I would be Tarzan because he can swing from the trees and he’s friends with an elephant.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “My last meal would be a ½ chicken, fries, and a roll from Hickory Park, with a hot slice of Pecan pie.”

Queen Gina Grindatti

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in track, Maroon Crew, and clubs that I forget to go to the meetings for.”
  • Did you expect to be a queen candidate? “No, I didn’t.”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I’m attending Winter Formal with Sam Carroll.”
  • If you were a fairytale character, who would you be and why? “Belle, because she’s always been my favorite. I don’t know if Moana is a princess, but if she is, then maybe Moana. Mainly, so I can be friends with a chicken.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “Pancheros, Chick-fil-a fries, a gallon container of Baskin Robbins peanut butter and chocolate ice cream, and a Shirley temple.”

Carson Brown

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in football, basketball, and track.”
  • Did you expect to be a king candidate? “I definitely did not expect to be a king candidate.”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I am attending Winter Formal with Lashley Bitting.”
  • If you were a fairytale character who would you be and why? “If I were a fairytale character I would be Sleepy from Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs, because I like to sleep a lot!”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? My ideal last meal would be some lemon pepper wings and some fries from Wingstop.”

Maddy Hall

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in cross country, DC singers, jazz choir, show choir, spring musical, Yearbook, NHS, Maroon Crew, and Ut Fidem.”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I’m going with John Reding.”
  • If you were a fairytale character, who would you be and why? “I would be Ariel, so I could explore the ocean.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “A chipotle burrito bowl with steak, brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, queso, extra pico, extra hot sauce, light sour cream, cheese, and lettuce.”

Jamie Coggi

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in show choir, jazz choir, art club, student council, and Maroon Crew.”
  • Did you expect to be a king candidate? “I did not expect to be a king candidate.”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I’m attending the dance with my friends.”
  • If you were a fairytale character who would you be and why? “I would be the mad hatter because I’m mad, and I just love how he’s always happy and having a good time.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “My last meal would be chicken taquitos from Cheesecake Factory, Sprite Zero, and raspberry white chocolate cheesecake.”

Petra Knupp

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in a lot of things. I’m on varsity soccer. I’m vice president of Maroon Council. Then, I’m involved in NCYL, Peer Tutoring, NHS, CORE, Feminist Club, and Reading Club.”
  • Did you expect to be a queen candidate? “I really didn’t. I was also the last name called, so I really didn’t expect it.”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I’m going with Kaden Emmanuel.”
  • If you were a fairytale character, who would you be and why? “I would be Jasmine because she is very outspoken, and she sticks up for herself. She wants to explore the world and do something bigger than what she’s given. Also, she’s in love with Aladdin, and so am I.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “I think I would have a huge platter of sushi, probably, salmon avocado. I just feel like that would be a nice, refreshing meal. On the side, I also want cake and a milkshake for variety.”

Sebastian Salamanca

• What are you involved in here at Dowling? “I’m involved in Ut. Fidem, boys swim, Art club, Students and Seniors, Maroon Crew, Student Council, and Special Olympics.”
  • Did you expect to be a king candidate? “I did not expect to be nominated so that was a fun surprise!”
  • Who are you attending winter formal with? “I’m attending Winter Formal with my bae, Abby Reinhardt.” 
  • If you were a fairytale character who would you be and why? “If I was a fairytale character I would be Shrek because we are so similar.”
  • What’s your ideal last meal? “My last meal would be sushi, with a side of mac and cheese.”

Friday afternoon at the all-school pep assembly, king and queen were crowned. James Barnes was crowned Winter Formal King and Gina Grindatti was crowned Winter Formal Queen. Congratulations to the both of you!