Breaking News
  • April 19Student Service/Senior Celebration Assembly: 4/30
  • April 19Scholastic Achievement Assembly: 4/24
  • March 20Spring Sports are in full swing! Support the Maroons!
  • March 4"Newsies" will come to the stage April 25-27!

Stacking Them Up

Mrs. Kirchhoff talks about her favorite event of the year
Mrs. Kirchhoff proudly holds up her favorite sign.

Mrs. Carolyn Burch Kirchhoff is in charge of one of Dowling’s biggest fundraising events, the Pancake Breakfast.

The Pancake Breakfast is a great way to build up the community of Dowling Catholic. It is also a “great chance for our people to have food, fun, and fellowship in one place,” says Kirchhoff.

This will be Dowling’s 61st year that it has had a pancake breakfast.

The Pancake Breakfast provides funding to Dowling Catholic in all aspects. The money that is raised is used on an as-needed basis. “The Pancake Breakfast supports everything from choir robes, and microscopes, to athletic supplies, department needs, and everything in between,” says Kirchhoff.

Mrs. Kirchhoff plays a very important role in preparing for The Pancake Breakfast, setting it up, and running the event. There are also a lot of DCHS parents that help out, including Paul and Jen Damge, who have volunteered the past 6 years. Approximately 400 people volunteer at The Pancake Breakfast each year.

Typically lots of people come to The Pancake Breakfast, therefore, lots of food is needed. “We will go through about 100 lbs. of pancake batter, 7,200 butter pats, about 200 bottles of syrup, and 60 lbs. of sausage,” says Kirchhoff. Out of all of that food, the batter and sausage are donated from parent volunteers.

A few new things will be taking place at the Pancake Breakfast this year. At the start of the day, there will be the running of the mascots throughout the Varied Industries building. There will also be a pancake walk and inflatable bounce house for the kids.

The Pancake Breakfast is a great way for students to see what Dowling has to offer and get involved. “A lot of clubs and activities will be represented there, and we also have added some of our parochial schools…, as well as local colleges and universities,” says Kirchhoff.

To get involved with The Pancake Breakfast, people can contact Mrs. Kirchhoff or volunteer online on Dowling Catholic’s website.

Kirchhoff cannot wait for this year’s Pancake Breakfast because she will get to meet future Maroons, parents, students, and alumni. “We will have about 2500 people come through, and it is just a busy, chaotic, fun day,” says Kirchhoff.

Volunteers prepare for the Pancake Breakfast. [E. Pugh]