5 Netflix Shows to Watch if You’re Not Going Anywhere for Spring Break

Back to Article
Back to Article

Andrew Vandermillen, Writer

Bates Motel

Genre: Horror

Number of seasons: 3

Number of episodes per season: 10

Average episode length: 42 minutes

Bates Motel is a prequel to the extremely well-known film “Psycho.” This show goes into the depths of Norman Bates’ psyche and the complicated relationship he has with his mother, Norma Bates. After the traumatic death of Norman’s father, the two of them pick up from Arizona and move to the quaint town of White Pine Bay, Oregon, to open up a small motel. While they think they’re moving to a quaint little town, the opposite is true. Within the first episode, Norma is brutally assaulted in her own home, and when Norman comes to defend her, they brutally murder him together. The rest of the show focuses on their cover up of this murder, the drug related business that consumes the town, and the strange behavior of Norman Bates, who seems to become more psychotic every episode. This show is one of the best I have ever watched. It keeps you on your toes and learning about the twisted relationship between the mother and son is mind-boggling.

White Collar

Genre: Crime

Number of seasons: 6

Number of episodes per season: 15

Average episode length: 42 minutes

What do you get when one of the world’s slyest criminals joins forces with an FBI agent whose one rule in life is to never break the rules? This is exactly what happens when Neal Caffrey cuts a deal with FBI agent Peter Burke to catch criminals who are exactly like him. With the mixture of  Caffrey’s cool, charming demeanor, and Burke’s ruthless investigative skills, they seem to make an unstoppable team. This show has everything from crime, comedy, betrayal, love and everything thing else in between.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Genre: Comedy

Number of seasons: 1

Number of episodes per season: 13

Average episode length: 24 minutes

Kimmy has lead nothing close to a normal life. For the past fifteen years she’s been locked in an underground bunker with several other women as a part of one man’s plan to keep them there, telling them that the world as they know it has been destroyed by doomsday. After being rescued, she decides to move to New York to pursue a “normal” life. She gets hired as a babysitter for the Voorhees family, a wealthy family with a multitude of issues. This show is about Kimmy navigating through life in New York City with almost no knowledge of life as an adult. Her mannerisms make you think she has the mental capacity of a five year old, but in a twenty-something year old’s body. I love that no matter what conflict this show throws at Kimmy, she always is a happy-go-lucky, clueless girl at heart.

How to Get Away with Murder

Genre: Drama

Number of seasons: 2

Number of episodes per season: 15

Average episode length: 44 minutes

A group of law students have no idea what they’re getting themselves into when they enroll into Annalise Keating’s class. The class name speaks for itself on the first day when on the board is the description “How to Get Away with Murder.” She chooses a group of students to intern at her firm for the semester, and Wes, Connor, Michaela, Asher and Laurel, are chosen for this prestigious internship. Little do they know, this position will lead them to commit a gruesome crime, that they spend the majority of their time trying to cover up. Betrayal, love, murder, and other crimes are the common themes spread out this law-based drama by Shonda Rhimes.

Chelsea Does…

Genre: Documentaries

Number of seasons: 1

Number of episodes per season: 4

Average episode length: 74 minutes

Comedian and writer Chelsea Handler goes over the topics of marriage, racism, technology in Silicon Valley and drugs in a four-part documentary series. This series brings together her witty and sharp-edged sarcasm with real life issues to bring together a lively series. I loved this series because of the comedy that Handler displays throughout her differing experiences in each episode. Handler does an excellent job of sharing her experiences and providing the alternate view from a stand-up comedy perspective all in one.