The Des Moines Thrift Scene

Thrifting has recently become a trend to do, but sometimes it’s confusing! Here’s a guide and ratings to help you decide the best place for you!
Just ONE aisle of Platos Closet
Plato’s Closet

Sitting at 5550 Wild Rose Ln, West Des Moines, Plato’s Closet is the place to go for all trendy clothes. Looking for UGG slipper dupes, microtrends, or any cropped piece? Go to Plato’s, you’ll find it all!

Plato’s was having a 90% off sale when Nora and I went, so we got a ton of goodies. They had a ton of clothes and you are guaranteed to find something for you!

Rating: 5/5

Age: Depends on your style, but we mostly found preteen-teenage clothes

Inventory: Women’s Clothing, Women’s Accessories, Men’s Clothing (this is one of the better selections of men’s), Shoes (this is the best place to go for new shoes because they’re in great condition for about half the price!)

Selling: Selling at Plato’s is easy and you can make some great $$$. Just bring in your items, talk to an associate, and they’ll text you when they’re ready to pay and give you back the excess!

Just ONE aisle of Plato’s Closet (Sarah W.)
The front half of the Style Encore store.
Style Encore

Plato’s Closet has a sister store, and Style Encore is it! Style Encore is right next door and they were also having a 90% off sale! Style Encore is more of a business casual store, but they have a ton of great and unique pieces. If you’re looking for anything designer, Style will probably have it for a fraction of the price.

Nora and I didn’t find as much here, but I’ve shopped here previously and found a truckload.

Rating: 5/5

Age: Depends on your style, but we mostly found conservative clothing

Inventory: Women’s Clothing, Women’s Accessories, Men’s Clothing (some), Shoes (mostly women’s), Handbags (this is the best place to go for a new purse!)

Selling: Selling at Style Encore is easy and you can make some great $$$. Just bring in your items, talk to an associate, and they’ll let you know how long it’ll take to sort through your stuff. You’ll have to go back to the store to get your money and receive the excess clothing.

The front half of the Style Encore store. (Delaney Platt)
A view of the front of Stuff Etc.
Stuff Etc.

Stuff Etc. is a big store whose address is 8700 Hickman Rd, Clive. Stuff Etc. is in a huge warehouse and has furniture, clothing, bags, games, and more.

Nora and I didn’t find a lot here, but after shopping for 3 hours at this point, we weren’t in the mood to go through every single clothing item on every rack. The prices at Stuff Etc. were very reasonable, and we decided we’d go back when we have more energy.

Rating: 4/5 (They could do a better job organizing and maybe even sorting by styles.)

Age: Baby-elderly with everything in-between

Inventory: Women’s Clothing, Women’s Accessories, Men’s Clothing, Shoes, Handbags, Furniture, Knick-knacks, Baby Clothes, Kids Clothes, Housewares

Selling: When selling to Stuff Etc., you have to sign up for an account when you get there, then add your number to a list sitting on the counter. You’ll wait in line and when they call your name, you’ll bring things up to the counter and they’ll start going through everything in front of you. Once done, you’ll pack things into a tote and they’ll take it back. After a few months, you can check your online account for what they took. Any excess items get donated.

A view of the front of Stuff Etc. (Delaney Platt)