The Stress of Finals

As the school year comes to an end, Dowling students prepare for the dreaded final exams!
The Media Center, where many students will be spending time before finals.
Addi Schaefer

DCHS semester final exams, which might be the most stressful part of the semester, have finally come around. Finals start Friday, May 24, and then go from Tuesday the 28th through Thursday the 30th. Students in 9th through 11th grade can be exempt from two exams. To exempt you must have a 90% or above in the class,  may not exceed 8 tardies, 35 unexcused class period absences, or 2 non-tardy JUGS. Forms will be given out Monday 11th and must be turned in at 2:15 on December 15th.

But this time of year begs the question of what toll final exams take on one’s mental health. First, we need to talk about the stress of studying. Most students spend days studying for finals, this includes staying up late and cramming study time in the night before. This can lead to isolation and loneliness. Another thing is the stress of everything. Here are some tips for the stress of finals:

1. Identify: Which finals will be the hardest? What do you think will be the hardest in each? What finals would cause the most stress?
  2. Stay organized: Write down when you need to work, create a system of when you want to work when to take breaks, etc. Prioritizing and scheduling tasks is supposed to make your life easier, not more difficult or stressful. Remind yourself that to-do lists don’t need to be a looming reminder of what you still haven’t completed.
  3. Prioritize self-care: When studying make sure you take time to get a full meal, put hygiene first, take deep breaths, etc. Practicing good hygiene can be difficult when you’re feeling burnt out, depressed, or overwhelmed. However, it’s an important component of both our mental and physical health.
  4. Set boundaries: Making boundaries can help you plan out finals week. It’s important to give yourself time to breathe and walk away from studying.
  5. Ask for help: It is okay to ask a teacher or friend for help.
  6. Realize that the test does NOT define you: It’s normal to think that the grades define who you are as a person but in the end, the test is there to test your knowledge on the topics you have learned through the year. Remind yourself that you are still a nice, kind, smart, and capable person.

Good luck on finals Maroons! Make sure to take a deep breath!