Mrs. Umstead, Averi Langin, and Delaney Platt take it all in at the SNO Academy.
Jenny Umstead

Drake Day

On September 13, 2023, Averi Langin and Delaney Platt joined Mrs. Umstead for a day of learning at Drake University. The purpose of the day was to gain more knowledge about the website we use for our school newspaper, The Dowling Catholic Post. This opportunity was the second stage of the School Newspaper Online (SNO) Adviser Academy that Umstead attended this past June in Minneapolis.

“I knew I needed to pull in my staff to help improve our online presence and website,” said Umstead. “And Averi and Delaney were willing and able to join for this day of learning.”

The workshop was held in Meredith Hall on the Drake University campus and led by Kyle Phillips from SNO. Phillips guided the group of advisers and student staffers through design options to improve the online school newspapers.

“During the workshop, we learned so many things that we can do to upgrade and update our DCP website,” said Umstead. “We hope our readers will notice the difference!”

There are so many options and ideas to incorporate into our publication!

— Mrs. Umstead