Giving Blood for Ava

Dowling Catholic Blood Drive: Honoring Ava Vaske
Ava Vaske smiles into the camera before her cancer diagnosis. 
[Photo Courtesy The Des Moines Register]
Ava Vaske smiles into the camera before her cancer diagnosis. [Photo Courtesy The Des Moines Register]

According to the American Association for Cancer Research, small cell carcinoma of the ovary is a rare and aggressive cancer which mainly occurs in young women. It represents less than 0.01% of all ovarian cancers. This type of cancer has fewer than 500 cases reported to date. Ava Vaske graduated from Dowling Catholic High School back in 2021. That fall, in November of 2021, Ava was diagnosed with small cell carcinoma of the ovary.

Ava Vaske was a kind, thoughtful and caring girl. She loved to hangout with her family and friends and would do anything for them. Ava Vaske had a rare blood type,  O negative. Having that rare blood type made it hard to find blood for her on time. Sometimes blood would have to come to her from another hospital or from other cities.

Ava Vaske and her family planned to hold a blood drive when she recovered from her cancer so she could carry on the gift of blood that had been given to her.

Ava Vaske passed away on September 11, 2022.

Since Ava Vaske never could run her own blood drive, Dowling Catholic High School is honoring her wishes through their own blood drive that will be held on October 30th from 8:30am to 1:30pm. It will be located at Dowling Catholic High School behind the bleachers.