Merry Christmas from the DCP!

The Dowling Catholic Post staff is shining this Christmas season!
J. Umstead
No roast beast for me!
No roast beast for me!

I love food. But not especially “Christmas” food. I am not a big fan of turkey, ham, or other roasted meats. But I can get behind the desserts and rolls! And the strawberry pretzel salad (if you don’t know about strawberry pretzel salad, do yourself a favor and Google it). Our family is always traveling for Christmas, so one of my favorite traditions is all the kids gather on the stairs at my sister’s house in Kansas City on Christmas morning. Some of the “kids” are now 30 years old, but it is still an amazing tradition. As for Christmas songs, I don’t think you can beat “Blue Christmas” by Elvis. It gives me all the feels. I hope all our readers have a Christmas full of love, life, and laughter. Merry Christmas!

Its the Holiday Season!
It’s the Holiday Season!

Come December, I always love the joy that surrounds the holiday season, and some of my fondest memories take place during the month. On Christmas Eve, my family always reads a copy of “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas” that my dad was gifted from his grandparents as a toddler. After doing this my entire life, it would not feel like Christmas without getting under blankets in our Christmas pajamas to read the story before bed. Recently, my family has also watched “It’s a Wonderful Life” on Christmas Eve, and I hope that we keep this tradition in the years to come. One of my favorite holiday activities is decorating gingerbread houses, and when I was little, our neighbor used to bake homemade gingerbread and assemble houses for all of the kids in our neighborhood. Even though the gingerbread houses I decorate today are now store-bought kits, I still get together with friends each year and love the memories we make while decorating. However your family celebrates, I am wishing you a joyous Christmas and very happy new year!

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

My favorite Christmas memories always take place at my grandparents’ house. Every year on Christmas day, my mom’s four siblings and my family join together at my grandparents for food, conversation, and of course, presents. My favorite holiday food is and has always been cheesy potatoes. My favorite Christmas movie is definitely “A Christmas Story,” mainly because when my brother was little, he was a doppelganger to Ralphie. I also just love the leg lamp and the Red Ryder BB gun stories. Another Christmas memory that always brings back nostalgia is songs by Mannheim Steamroller, as my mom always plays these throughout the Christmas season. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Its the Best Time of the Year!
It’s the Best Time of the Year!

My favorite Christmas memories have been in my house every year. We have never been out of town for Christmas EVER. I love it that way because I can be in my cozy house with my family and spend the whole Christmas day with them. My favorite thing to do on Christmas is wait on the top of the stairs while my parents record my brother and I before we head downstairs to look at all the presents below the tree. We usually have cinnamon rolls after we open presents which are the best thing we eat during Christmas in my opinion. My family and I usually watch one Christmas movie on Christmas day and it is either between “It’s a Wonderful Life” or “A Christmas Story”. I am not a big fan of “A Christmas Story” but “A Wonderful Life” is definitely my favorite movie to watch on Christmas. We also listen to Christmas music during the day and my favorite song is “Mistletoe” by Justin Bieber. Thanks for reading the Dowling Catholic Post this year! Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!

My favorite part of Christmas is getting to spend time with my family. My family always hosts and we have a spread of food and goodies. I always like spending time with my grandparents, aunts, and cousins. My favorite Christmas movie is the Kris Kringle stop-motion movie. I hope everyone has an amazing holiday season.

Happy Holidays!
Happy Holidays!

To get into the holiday spirit, I’d like to tell you all about how I enjoy celebrating the holidays!

My favorite holiday food has to be the Christmas ham that mom makes.

My favorite holiday tradition has to be making pasteles, a traditional Puerto Rican dish! While we technically make them in November, the day after Thanksgiving to be exact, they’re for Christmas dinner so I’ll call it a holiday tradition.

My favorite memory took place a couple years back when there were so many presents under the tree that our entire sitting room seemed to be full of them. I swear you couldn’t even get to the other side of the room without wading through presents!

My favorite Christmas song has to be “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby – I am certainly dreaming of and hoping for a white Christmas this year.

Thank you all for being supporters of the Post! All of us here on the staff, including myself, really appreciate your continued support. Have a wonderful and relaxing holiday season – however you celebrate it!

Musical Clue #2! It may be cold outside, but this clue looks hot!

Hey theater enthusiasts! Got any more guesses for this year’s Spring Musical after seeing this clue? Send them here: https://forms.gle/H7wAejMQjpgfHxWT9!

Haven’t found the first clue yet? Take a look at the DCP’s header on the home page (hint hint, wink wink).

Remember, there will be two more clues to come in the new year, so, while you may be baffled, you sure won’t be clueless!

Happy guessing and even happier holidays!