Girl Scout Cookie Season

Everyone’s favorite sugary time of the year!
Girl Scout Cookie Season

Girl Scout of Greater Iowa cookies of 2024!As of February 1st has arrived, so has Girl Scout Cookie season. Every year ABC Bakers spends months preparing cookies for the anticipated “Cookie Season”. All the favorite flavors are back for 2024 at $6 a box, a one-dollar increase from last year: Adventurefuls, Caramel Chocolate Chip, Caramel deLites, Lemonades, Peanut Butter Patties, Peanut Butter Sandwich, Thin Mints, Toast-Yay! and Trefoils.

Let’s learn a little bit about Girl Scouts as an organization. It started in Savannah, Georgia on March 12, 1912, by Juliette “Daisy” Gordon Law. The troop was made up of 18 girls, but now the organization has over 3.7 million members (Girl Scouts). But even before that in 1910, Girl Guides started over in the United Kingdom by Robert Baden-Powell, founder of The Scout Association, who established a separate organization for girls. The Guide Association was a founding member of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) in 1928.

But let’s talk cookies. In 1917, the Girl Scouts of Muskogee, Oklahoma, also known as the Mistletoe Troop, decided to sell cookies in a local high school cafeteria to raise money for their club, unofficially launching the tradition of Girl Scouts cookie sales (History.com).

Cookie season is an important time for all Girls Scouts to learn skills of goal setting, money management, people skills, decision making, and business ethics. For a personal glimpse into the cookies, listen to our podcast about our taste test posted on the main page of the DCP!