Breaking News
  • April 30Staff Writer Ella Johnson earns Top 10 Emerging Journalist award!
  • April 19Student Service/Senior Celebration Assembly: 4/30
  • March 20Spring Sports are in full swing! Support the Maroons!

High School Coming To An End: The Class of 2023 Looks Back At Memories

FOCUS magazine

With high school coming to an end, there’s a bittersweet feeling that accompanies it. The times of laughter and jokes, the stress of finishing an essay an hour before its due, stressing about our last prom, going to football games on Friday night’s. Many of us start to feel a sense of nostalgia as we recall the memories of these past four years. Here are a few memories from the class of 2023.

Nianrob Malual

I would describe my high school experience as helpful because I got to know myself better and grow into the person I am today through the people around me. I’m going to miss regularly seeing everyone’s faces and the teachers that helped me throughout these four years. I have two favorite memories, my first one is the freshman retreat where we all as freshmen got to speak to each other. Looking back at it, people have changed in a good way. The other one is waking up early to attend the senior sunrise with my friends. Going through high school with friends is fun but without friends it’s a little harder to navigate but still possible.

Alondra Alvarado

Lifetouch National School Studios Inc.

I would describe my high school experience as restless because I feel like there was no moment where you could just rest/relax, it was always focused on what’s next, never really focused on whats present. I’m going to miss the teachers and how passionate they are about what they do and teach. My favorite memory would have to be attending Mr. Colles class. High School was a fun journey for me socially, I got to meet a lot of new people.

Nate Strawn

One word I would use to describe my high school experience would be unique, because the class of 2023 dealt with so many experiences during the pandemic. I’m going to miss the relationships with coaches, friends and teachers. My favorite memory of Dowling would have to be going to the Dome with my friends. Overall high school was a fun journey. I made a lot of memories here at Dowling.

Genesy Cruz-Alvarado

Lifetouch National School Studios Inc.

One word I would use to describe my high school experience would be emotional because it was just challenging in a good way. High school prepared me for what’s to come. It was very nerve racking. Im going to miss knowing what Im going to do and being in my comfort zone, and I’m going to miss my friends the most. My favorite memory has to be attending the sport games at Dowling, the sportsmanship, and high school spirit as a whole. I’d say overall my high school experience was fun. I’ve grown as a person throughout these four years.

Rosa Castillo

One word I would use to describe my high school year would be distinct. This word is the first to pop in my head because our high school years were different than some. During our freshman year we experienced not only the first year of high school but also a global pandemic caused by COVID-19. This definitely took a toll on how we as students learned and went on to continue our next three years. From all things that I got the chance to do while being in Dowling, I think what I will mainly miss is the opportunity to have a chapel in our school. Although it wasn’t until the end of my junior year that I took advantage of being able to simply just walk in, it’s something that truly is a privilege. I enjoy knowing that the chapel is open during any time of the day to simply just sit inside and feel comfort. I hope that as I move forward with my education I find another place where I can just feel at peace. During all four years that I have been at Dowling I would say my favorite memory would have to be Kairos. The reason why is because I decided to go with my friend, Jaz Paz. We both went scared and in a way regretting that we’d be disconnected for a whole weekend. But in all honesty it was an incredible experience because not only was it very relaxing it was also a very eye-opening experience. In my opinion, my high school journey was quite a roller coaster. There were amazing moments and unforgettable memories created, but so many things changed. Many times it’s for the better and others aren’t what you expected, but it truly just depends on how you view every situation. I believe that high school helped me grow into the person I am today. And as these four years come to an end I don’t think I would’ve wanted it to go any other way because I believe that all things happen for a reason.

Emily Ponxs

A word I would use to describe my high school experience would be challenging. I’m going to 100% miss the staff, they are so caring and always there for you. I’m definitely going to miss the environment. My favorite memories from Dowling would have to be being on homecoming court and leading the student section as a senior, that was really fun. Finding your place and getting comfortable with who you are is a big part of high school. It was fun but looking back it was a lot to handle.

Coleman Osborne

One word I would use to describe my high school experience would be adventurous. I’m for sure going to miss seeing all my friends. My favorite memory from high school would have to be when we had a Minion movie watch party in the bathroom. In most ways high school was a fun experience.

Olivia Tice

A word I would use to describe my high school experience would be formative. High school taught me how to study, how to communicate and work with others, and gave me experiences I never could have achieved on my own. I am going to miss the people. I made connections with my teachers and bonds with classmates that I will remember fondly and I’m glad I was able to know them when I did. My favorite memory from Dowling is hanging out with my friends backstage of the musical “Guys And Dolls” and performing the show. It was just an amazing experience and I really enjoyed every minute of it. Overall, high school was definitely a fun journey for me. There are so many memories that I know I will cherish for a lifetime.  

Yalayzah Lovan

A word I would use to describe my high school experience would be fun. I chose this word because while at times it does get stressful, I had so much fun getting to know everybody here at Dowling. I’m going to miss my friends the most and my favorite teachers. My favorite memory at Dowling is playing softball, volunteering for student ambassadors, and best buddies. High school was a fun journey for me. I got to find who I truly was through meeting new people and I got to explore my faith on the retreats that Dowling offers.