Breaking News
  • May 28The DCP wishes everyone a happy summer!
  • April 30Staff Writer Ella Johnson earns Top 10 Emerging Journalist award!

Part 2: Behind the Scenes of DCHS

The people we see every day are sometimes taken for granted, but we should appreciate all they do for us.
teacherspayteachers.com

The faces we see daily may be familiar, but every single one has a deeper story. Our staff here at DCHS works quietly in the background, making every day run seamlessly, whether we realize it or not.

Tracy Flynn (left), Laura DeMarco (middle), and Jessie Smith (right) pose in the attendance office, where they spend most of their time. (D. Platt)

Tracy Flynn has worked at Dowling for 7 years. She works in attendance and her favorite part of working at Dowling is the community, her coworkers, and the students. When asked her least favorite part, Flynn joked about having a very long list, but ultimately was at a loss for words, unable to think of something she didn’t like.

Laura DeMarco, attendance, has worked at Dowling for 11 years. DeMarco’s favorite part of working at Dowling is her coworkers and the students. “It’s been an enjoyable place to work,” DeMarco says.

Jessie Smith, our school nurse, has been working at Dowling for 5 years. If you are prone to injury or illness, you probably know her well. Smith enjoys working with students but her least favorite part of working at Dowling is probably the paperwork.

Sylvia Navarro smiles as she holds her “Chaos Coordinator” nameplate. (D. Platt)

Sylvia Navarro, principal’s assistant, has worked at Dowling for 9 months. Nicknamed “Chaos Coordinator,” Navarro’s favorite part of her job is the students, while her least favorite is having to compose the announcements. “I’m nervous about how it’s going to be when the kids aren’t here in the summer,” Navarro says, the nervousness of working in a quiet, student-less school at the top of her mind.

Megan Andersen smiles for the camera in the library. (D. Platt)

Megan Andersen works in the media center and is in her 18th year working at Dowling. Andersen’s favorite part is the people. “I feel like you hear stories about people that are negative and out to get each other, but here everyone is always willing to help and jump in and it’s rare to find someone who isn’t flexible,” she explains. For Andersen, the hardest part of her job is trying to make sure Dowling’s library has something to fit everyone’s needs, as it disappoints her when someone is looking for something and the library doesn’t have it. “I feel like we try really hard in here to have a welcoming environment and the goal is that no matter what’s going on you can come in here and be calm and comfortable,” Andersen says. “We want everyone to know that everyone is welcome all the time and they shouldn’t ever be afraid to ask questions or ask for help.”

Kirby Power smiles for the camera in the Faith Ministry office. (D. Platt)

Addie Croegaert, Ut Fidem Coordinator, has worked at Dowling for six years. Her favorite part of working at Dowling is spending time with the students, but her least favorite part is working in an office with no outdoor windows. When Croegaert was asked if she had anything else to add, she said, “Join Ut Fidem,” a spiritual group at Dowling.

Jonathan Wisnieski, our male Ut Fidem Coordinator, has been working at Dowling for one year. “My favorite part of Dowling is definitely student interactions,” he says. His least favorite part is the fluorescent lights in the building. Wisnieski, a Dowling and Iowa alum cheerfully added “Go Hawks!”

Jon Wisnieski, Addie Croegaert, and Terry Clark smile in the Faith Ministry office. (D. Platt)

Kirby Power has worked at Dowling since August 2022 as the female Ut Fidem Coordinator. Power’s least favorite part of working at Dowling is also the lack of outdoor windows and having to be inside. Another Dowling alum, Power’s favorite part is the people and the opportunity to practice and share her faith with others. “I’m happy to be back!” she says.

Terry Clark, Theology Department Chair, has worked at Dowling for nine years. Clark’s favorite part of working at Dowling is the great students and all of the great people. The hardest part for him is that we lose someone from our community every single year. “I love working here 98% of the time, and if you can love your job 98% of the time, it’s a great thing, it’s a great job.”